Sunday, January 8, 2012

Jerry Spinelli --- Author Spotlight!



After reviewing the list of books I read last year in 2011, I was once again reminded of the joy of discovering a new author (or more accurately put, a new author to me). In 2011, I discovered the wonderful writing of Newbery Medal Award winning author, Jerry Spinelli, through a former college professor and friend of mine when I was given a copy of Spinelli's novel, Stargirl, last year as a gift.

I rapidly devoured Stargirl in record reading time and enjoyed the message it contained of individuality and being who you are. I later went on to read two more novels by Jerry Spinelli in 2011, Maniac Magee & Wringer, both of which were equally wonderful and beautifully written. Spinelli's writing is refreshing and relevant.

Suffice it to say, I'm now a H-U-G-E fan of Jerry Spinelli's writing and look forward to reading more of his novels in the months and years to come! A big thanks to Bill for introducing Jerry Spinelli's writing to me.

Learn more about Jerry Spinelli by visiting his website at the following link: http://www.jerryspinelli.com/newbery_001.htm

1 comment:

  1. I love Jerry Spinelli. I've read most of his books. One of my favorites is "Star Girl." We actually listened to it on audiobook on our drive to Florida. It was narrated by John Ritter and was absolutely wonderful. I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete