Wednesday, January 4, 2012

LibraryThing --- Catalog your books online!

LibraryThing is another online, social networking website geared towards book lovers. I am not that familiar with this website yet as I've only heard about it recently from Mozette and a few other readers.

What is LibraryThing?

LibraryThing is a cataloging and social networking site for book lovers.
LibraryThing helps you create a library-quality catalog of books: books you own, books you've read, books you'd like to read, books you've lent out ... whatever grouping you'd like.
Since everyone catalogs online, they also catalog together. You can contribute tags, ratings and reviews for a book, and Common Knowledge (facts about a book or author, like character names and awards), as well as participate in member forums or join the Early Reviewers program. Everyone gets the benefit of everyone else's work. LibraryThing connects people based on the books they share.
LibraryThing is a cataloging and social networking site for book lovers.

Learn more about LibraryThing by clicking on the following link, which will take you to their website: http://www.librarything.com/

At this time, I don't need an online,  "library-quality catalog of books" I already own. I currently have some 200+ books and the idea of cataloging them online seems like an awful lot of work I rather not do. There seems to be some wonderful advantages of becoming a member of LibraryThing, but if the primary objective is to catalog my library of books, then it is not for me.

Plus LibraryThing is free for the privilege of cataloging up to 200 books. Whereas "a paid account allows you to catalog any number of books" for a fee of $10 a year or $25 for a lifetime. The fee isn't that much money when one thinks about it, especially if you'll be using/accessing your account a lot.

If you are a member of LibraryThing, I'd love to read your comments as to what you love/enjoy about being a member of the LibraryThing community.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm so happy you're enjoying your first few followers. And I'm happy you going well with your blog. There is a big learning curve when it comes to design and the gadgets you want to add to it... and make it look a bit like mine (like adding in links, links to websites and other things too... like photos. However that will all come to you as you go along). You will find that Blogger is the easiest and most flexible blogging system around; and after a while - after you get into writing many posts, you'll find your blog on Google... it will just show up there one day... mine did. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mozette, Thank you for your private message and post. Yes, agreed, there is a big learning curve... But with support from wonderful people like you, I'll get the hang of it!! Mozette, we must be on the same wave length though, because I visited our local FOL Used Bookstore yesterday and I took pictures of the bookstore and what I purchased. I then blogged about my experience today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go! That's the kind of thing to bring to the notice of the community. I've been doing this lately and it brings more people around to reading pre-loved books and finding ways to save by purchasing books at bookstores that have massive sales... I try not to pay full price for any book I want; unless it's unavoidable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mozette, you use LibraryThing, right? What do you like best about using LibraryThing?

    ReplyDelete