Sunday, May 17, 2015

Which Modern Day Books Do You Think Will Be Classics A 100 Years From Now?

Last week, I participated in the Bout of Books 13.0 Read-A-Thon, which was a blast. I always have fun participating in this read-a-thon. One of the read-a-thon challenges was the titled From Modern To Classic and is hosted by Ranty Runt of A Reader. The goal of the challenge was to share one book that you believe will be considered a classic in 100 years time and to provide two reasons for why this book will be a classic. The only other prerequisite is that the modern book must be published after 2005.

I thought this was an interesting question to ask readers, because who doesn't wonder which current books today will become classics in 100 years??

Below was my response for the From Modern to Classic read-a-thon challenge:

I've decided to be BOLD & DARING with my book selection for this read-a-thon challenge and nominate Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee. 

Yes, I realize that Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee will not be published until July of this year, but my prediction is that it will become an instant classic that people will be reading a 100 years from now.

Why do I feel this way? 

The first reason is that To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee is already a beloved American classic. I think people are going to want to continue reading this novel in the years to come. Readers will also want to read Harper Lee's second published novel to see what Scout is like as an adult. 

The second reason is that Harper Lee is an amazing writer, who has written about important political and societal topics that are still relevant today. For this reason I think that Go Set A Watchman will become a classic like To Kill A Mockingbird in 100 years.

So now I am turning the tables and posing the same question to you!! Which modern day book (published after 2005) do you think will be a classic a 100 years from now? Tell me why you think the book you've chosen will be come a classic.

2 comments:

  1. I honestly have no idea although I can piggy back on your idea that Go Set A Watchman will be a classic! TKAM was such a bit hit and Harper Lee is quite the author! Other than that... maybe The Book Thief by Markus Zusak?

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment!! I still need to read The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It's packed up somewhere in one of the many book boxes when we moved a year ago.

      Delete