Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday -- Top Ten Bookworm Delights


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.


The following are my top ten bookworm delights in no particular order of preference:

1. Bookcrossing --- I've been of Bookcrossing since January 2007. I love the community on Bookcrossing! I am active on the Bookcrossing forums. I have enjoyed exchanging books with other avid readers around the world. I've attended Bookcrossing meet-ups and left books at Official Bookcrossing Zones. I've also had fun participating in various book sweepstakes hosted by various Bookcrossers and participated in read-a-longs as well. Plus so much more!

So what is Bookcrossing:
It's the World's Library. It's a smart social networking site. It's a celebration of literature and a place where books get new life. BookCrossing is the act of giving a book a unique identity so, as the book is passed from reader to reader, it can be tracked and thus connecting its readers. There are currently 1,597,913 BookCrossers and 11,434,915 books travelling throughout 132 countries. Our community is changing the world and touching lives one book at a time.

Bookcrossing's mission is "to connect people through books."

2. Visiting Little Free Libraries --- I love the idea that folks out there have created and maintain these cute little libraries within their own community as a way to connect readers with books!

I also love it when various businesses (like coffee houses) or other places within the community offer a free way to exchange books, whether it's a Little Free Library or not.

3. Independent Bookstores --- Need I say more?? I love promoting small businesses over big chain bookstores. Indie bookstores offer great services like staff picks, book signings, book clubs, and so much more! Some of my favorite indie bookstores include Bart's Books in Ojai, California, The Last Bookstore in Los Angeles, California, Bookshop Santa Cruz in Santa Cruz, California, Elaine's Book Mark - The Paperback Exchange in Escondido, California, The Mysterious Galaxy in San Diego, California, and Chaucer's Books in Santa Barbara, California.

4. Book Festivals --- I don't like crowds all that much, but am willing to deal with large crowds of people to attend book festivals. I attended the Bay Area Book Festival in Berkeley, California last year and enjoyed my time there immensely. I look forward to attending other book festivals in the future.

5. Attending Author Signings/Events --- It's so fabulous to meet favorite authors at author signing events at book festivals and independent bookstores. Last year, I met Judy Blume, Garth Stein, Paula Hawkins, and Amy Stewart.

6. Meeting & Discussing Books with other avid readers! Need I say more?? I really do enjoy discussing books with other readers it's so much fun. Especially, when you inspire another person to read a book they haven't read and they end up liking it as much as you do! Plus, I enjoy reading other books that readers recommend to me. I end up discovering new to me authors that I most likely wouldn't have learned about on my own otherwise.

7. Bookplates --- Although, I don't use them very often (because I read a lot of ebooks and listen to audiobooks from Audible), I do like unique bookplates. One of these days, I'll have to start using bookplates more regularly.

8. Magnetic Bookmarks --- This is another one of those bookworm type of items I really like using. However, due to the fact that I read a lot of ebooks & listen to a lot of audiobooks throughout the year, I rarely use magnetic bookmarks as much as I would like to these days... And when I do use bookmarks, I usually end using whatever bookmark is handy.

9. Cloth Bookcovers --- Yup, love these too! I use to use them more frequently in the days before ebooks and also before I became a huge audiobook listener... I only have cloth book covers for mass market paperbacks, so when I read trade size paperbacks or hardback books then using my cloth bookcovers are out of the question.

10. Just About Anything Book Inspired ---- I love book inspired clothing (I recently bought a pair of leggings with a vintage comic books printed on them), book inspired jewelry, totes, etc.

So, which bookworm delights make you a happy camper?

50 comments:

  1. OOoh these are very delightful things!!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy reading to you and thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment.

      Delete
  2. Lovely list! So many delightful things here! I've always wanted to find one of those free little libraries. Maybe someday one will pop up in my area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun finding LFL's for sure. Have you thought about starting a Little Free Library in your community?

      Delete
  3. I've always loved the idea of those cute Little Free Libraries. I've just never saw one personally. :|
    Great Top Ten!
    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun finding LFL's for sure. I've even accidentally found two of them while geocaching with my hubby.

      Delete
  4. Bookcrossing sounds interesting! I like those Little Free Libraries too, and an independent bookstore- best thing ever. They just have a different vibe, and every one is different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy reading to you and thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment. Bookcrossing is a blast. I hope you become a member of Bookcrossing.

      Delete
  5. I totally need to check out the Bookcrossing thing! Sounds great! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy reading to you and thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment. Bookcrossing is a blast. I hope you become a member of Bookcrossing.

      Delete
  6. I've never gone to a book festival, but they sound like fun! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy reading to you and thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I hope you are able to visit a book festival in the future. They are a lot of fun.

      Delete
  7. Fantastic list :-) All relatable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy reading to you and thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment.

      Delete
  8. I've never heard of Bookcrossing... I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy reading to you and thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment. Bookcrossing is a blast. I hope you become a member of Bookcrossing.

      Delete
  9. Ohh, bookcrossing sounds like such a wonderful thing, I love the idea! Thank you so much for sharing it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy reading to you and thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment. Bookcrossing is a blast. I hope you become a member of Bookcrossing.

      Delete
  10. Love your reasons. I'm yet to meet an author because not a lot of them visit where I'm from. It's probably lucky for them as I'd fangirl enormously. Can't wait to see more of your TTT.
    Here is ours - http://twobookthieves.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/top-10-bookworm-delights.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy reading to you and thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment.

      Delete
  11. Great List. I have never heard of Book Crossing until now, thanks for mentioning it and sharing the link. Book festivals sound like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy reading to you and thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment. Bookcrossing is a blast. I hope you become a member of Bookcrossing.

      Delete
  12. Yes those cloth covers are SO NICE. And nice to pet too. :')
    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy reading to you and thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment.

      Delete
  13. This is a great list! How have I never heard of Bookcrossing before? I'm off to check it out! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy reading to you and thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment. Bookcrossing is a blast. I hope you become a member of Bookcrossing.

      Delete
  14. This is a great list! I've seen Little Free Libraries on a lot of lists, but I don't think I've ever had the chance to come across one. I keep my eye out for them though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy reading to you and thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment. It's fun finding LFL's. I've even accidentally found two of them while geocaching with my hubby.

      Delete
  15. I live in a rural area and have thought about starting my own Little Free Library, but I just don't know if it would get any real use since our community is SO freaking small. :( I've never actually even seen one in the wild, either. That would be lovely to behold. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should go for it and start a LFL in your community. Start a reading trend!

      Delete
  16. Wow. I have never even heard of some of the things you listed, but I must agree with cloth book covers! My gosh how could I have forgotten that in my list! Great list this week. Oh and thanks again for stopping by my TTT post as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy reading to you and thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment.

      Delete
  17. I love Little Free Libraries! Super agree on putting up with crowds for the sake of books and book festivals :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun finding LFL's for sure. I've even accidentally found two of them while geocaching with my hubby.

      Delete
  18. Book crossing sounds super fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Bookcrossing! And yes, it is a lot of fun. :-)

      Delete
  19. I want to get some magnetic bookmarks, they seem handy. Anyways, great list and thanks for stopping by my blog earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, magnetic bookmarks are handy... I don't have to worry about them falling out of the book I am reading. :-)

      Delete
  20. I love book inspired things as well, especially t-shirt and mug! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping and leaving me a comment!! Happy reading!!

      Delete
  21. My friends have been doing book-crossing unintentionally for years (we add our name to the inside jacket so that we can see who else as read it - I only know the others 10% of the time but it is fun). I will have to check the international movement out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool idea!! Yep, sounds like like you've been doing your own version of Bookcrossing! Happy reading!!

      Delete
  22. The last thing on your list: anything book inspired!? YES! The same goes for me. When I run across something new that's bookish, it always makes for a happy-face kind of day.

    Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy reading to you and thanks for leaving me a comment on my blog.

      Delete
  23. Great list! So many nice little bookish things on here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment. Happy reading!!

      Delete
  24. Such a great list! I wish we had author signings and events in my area because that would be my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta love book signings! I hope you have the chance to attend a few of them outside your local area. :-) Happy reading!!

      Delete
  25. Nice list! I haven't heard of BookCrossing before - sounds fantastic! Checking it out now, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. Happy reading!!

      Delete