Sunday, May 24, 2015

Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction by Carly Berg

Paperback Edition
I received the paperback edition of Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction by Carly Berg for free through Goodreads First Reads in exchange for an honest review. Below is my review of Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction by Carly Berg.

I am relatively new to the flash fiction genre, so was excited to receive and read Ms. Berg's collection of flash fiction!

I did like the fact that Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction does contain 100 flash fiction stories. The stories do cover a wide range of topics and do make for interesting reading. I enjoyed 27 of the stories very much. The rest of the stories were either okay stories, ones I didn't like at all or ones that I didn't quite fully understand.

The following is a description/summary of Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction by Carly Berg from the Goodreads website:
These fun-sized stories are just right for a coffee break, public commute, waiting room, bedtime story, or any other time you want a quick trip without leaving the farm.

The 100 stories in this quirky collection range from a few sentences to a few pages. Included are stories nominated for the 2013 Pushcart Prize, Micro Award, and Wigleaf Long List. Nearly all of them have been published before individually, in numerous print and online magazines and anthologies.

Tales vary from realistic to humorous to surreal, and family-friendly to adult. Repeating themes include: people-as-animals, people losing themselves and finding themselves (and sometimes wishing they hadn't), childhood in the psychedelic seventies, reality TV, marriage, twisted religion, and of course the gotta have 'em he-done-me wrongs. Enjoy!
I'm giving Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction by Carly Berg a rating of 3 stars out of 5 stars. I liked this book, but I didn't love it! If you're a flash fiction fan, this just may be the book for you!

Until my next post, happy reading!!

6 comments:

  1. Flash fiction? I need to look that up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found this definitin for Flash Fiction from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_fiction):

      " Flash fiction is a style of fictional literature or fiction of extreme brevity.[1] There is no widely accepted definition of the length of the category. Some self-described markets for flash fiction impose caps as low as three hundred words, while others consider stories as long as a thousand words to be flash fiction."

      Delete
    2. So they are extremely short stories?

      Delete
    3. Some stories are a sentence long to several pages.

      Delete
    4. Yay, a story that is only a single sentence in length!

      Delete