Saturday, July 20, 2019

Read About Women In Space

Today marks the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Lunar landing. 

To mark the occasion, I am sharing an interesting article I discovered through Bustle's website titled, Read About Women In Space In These 10 Novels & Nonfiction Books About The Final Frontier by Kerri Jarema. In the article, Kerri Jarema wrote the following:
In July 2019, the United States celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing on the moon. Taught in school's across the country, and depicted repeatedly in books, films, and television shows, the moon landing in 1969 — in which astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin became the first men to step foot on the moon, taking "one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind" — is one of the most iconic moments in world history. Since the late '60s, the NASA program has continued to make history, with missions like the Mars Exploration Rover ensuring continued interest in the men and women who explore the unknown Final Frontier.
But once you've gotten your fill reading all about Apollo 11 and other major space missions, you might find that you want to keep those galaxy-filled stoties on deck — especially stories about women, who are so often left out of important historical moments. This list of 10 books about women in space contains both fiction and nonfiction picks, with classic must-reads and newer books among them. Whether you want an edge-of-your-seat sci-fi novel set in space, or you want to learn more about the real-life women who have made space their careers, there's something on the list for you:
Click on the top link to discover which books made the list about women in space!

4 comments:

  1. That is a great list, including some I had not heard of before. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered some new to me books as well from the list above. Happy reading!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog Captivated Reader. I have been checking out some of your posts. You have a very cool blog.

    Some time ago I read a bunch of books on the topic of human space flight. It is so interesting. History directly relating to women is so often not told so I try to read books that do tell it. I just finished a book on women and the American Revolution that I will be posting about in a couple of weeks. I want to start reading about space exploration again and I think that I will try to read some of the linked books. I really must get to Hidden Figures sooner rather then later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I look forward to reading more of your book reviews in the future. In fact, I look forward to reading your review about women and the American revolution.

      I want to read more books about space exploration as well and Hidden Figures is on my reading wishlist too. I also want to read A Ball, a Dog, and a Monkey: 1957 -- The Space Race Begins by Michael D'Antonio, which sounds interesting.

      Delete