Thursday, August 3, 2017

How Slow Reading Is Actually A Good Thing!!

Being a speed reader may not always be such a good thing. Read why that is in an article published on Bustle's website titled, 7 Reasons Slow Reading Is Actually A Good Thing, Because Being A Speed Reader Is Overrated by Kerri Jarema. In the article, Kerri Jarema wrote the following:
Yes, there are tons of cool things about being a fast reader, most importantly always being able to avoid spoilers, but in fact, reading on the slower side of spectrum can actually be super beneficial for you both mentally and intellectually. So the next time you have flashbacks of learning who died in the latest Harry Potter book before you got to the chapter or are feeling down on yourself for always being the last in the book club to finish the book, check out the seven reasons why you're reading style is awesome below.
Most of the perks associated with reading more slowly that are mentioned in the above article are pretty intuitive. I felt like I didn't really gain anything new information wise. Kerri Jarema's article is simply a reminder for me that reading more slowly is more beneficial than reading more swiftly.

4 comments:

  1. For me, I get so used to skimming through articles and social media on the web that I have to remind myself to slow down when I read. I still love a page-turner though when I just can't go slow! Different speeds for different books, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a speed reader by any means, but it seems like some books are easier to finish sooner than others for sure.

      Delete
  2. I am definitely a slow reader! I've tried speed reading and I just ended up getting anxious. I rather sit down and enjoy my book at my own speed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read slowly as well... I find that reading to fast makes me less able absorb/retain the information I've read.

      However, I find it interesting that some novels are just easier to read and am finished with them sooner than others.... Why?? Who knows!!

      Delete