Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Top Ten Tuesday - My Ten Most Recent Reads


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme hosted by Jana @ That Artsy Reader Girl. Top Ten Tuesday was originally created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.

Check out my recent reads below! Links are for 8 of the 10 books I've reviewed so far. Enjoy and happy reading!

1. Babar's Yoga for Elephants by Laurent de Brunhoff - As a toddler, my mom tells me that I loved the Babar books and would have her read them to me frequently at bedtime. I don't remember much about the storyline for the Babar books now, but should reread them for posterity sake. However, I did recently read 
Babar's Yoga for Elephants by Laurent de Brunhoff, which was published in 2006. Cute illustrated children's book on how to do various yoga poses.

2. The Deep Dark Descending by Allen Eskens - I discovered Allen Eskens last year from another book blogger. His writing is fabulous and The Deep Dark Descending is an excellent thriller. I loved it!

3. Splintered by A. G. Howard - Love this young adult novel, which is a Alice In Wonderland retelling. I look forward to reading the rest of the series.

4. Such A Quiet Place by Megan Miranda - Contemporary fiction ARC. I didn't like the author's writing. I felt like Megan Miranda was too busy trying to manipulate the reader by trying to get them to feel a certain way or creating a certain atmosphere that felt forced to me. This feeling left me wanting to ditch the novel several times, but I carried onward hoping for a satisfying ending that didn't come.

5. 35 Tips For Writing A Brilliant Flash Story by Kaye Linden - Tips on writing flash fiction and flash nonfiction.

6. Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne - Love this classic novel, which felt like both a travelogue and a scientific exploration. I enjoyed the main characters of Otto Lidenbrock and his nephew, Axel. I loved the fantastic things they discover while traveling to the center of the Earth too.

7. Monsoon Mansion by Cinelle Barnes - Coming of age memoir set in the Philippines.

8. The Spirit Is Willing by Max McCoy - Cozy mystery novel set in the 1800s with paranormal elements.

9. Upright Women Wanted by Sarah Gailey -Western pulp fiction/LBGTQ novella. Excellent read!

10. You Are the Guru by Gabrielle Bernstein - Nonfiction self-help book. I love the 6 different messages and exercises to use in order to help one through difficult times.

My reading tastes as you can see are varied!

12 comments:

  1. OOh nice! Lots of new to me ones. I read Splintered some years back, still need to read more of her other books!


    Here's my Tuesday post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment!

      Delete
  2. Varied, indeed. That's quite a diversity you've got there. Allen Eskens is good. I'd like to read more of his work as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment!

      Delete
  3. I remember the Babar books, Lisa, but I was a little older than a toddler, I think I got to know them through my little brother who is ten years younger than me. Thanks for reminding me of them. I guess if Babar can do yoga, so can I. LOL

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment!

      Delete
  4. I loved Journey to the Center of the Earth movie- don't think I've read the book. I'd probably love it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment!

      Delete
  5. Bummer that you didn't enjoy Miranda. I like her books, although SUCH A QUIET PLACE wasn't my favorite of hers.

    Babar! I used to love those books, too.

    Happy TTT (on a Thursday)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I'll have to try another one of Megan Miranda's books.

      Delete
  6. I have liked two audiobooks of Allen Eskens novels. He is very good especially his first novel The Life We Bury. I think it might be his best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you have enjoyed listening to two of Allen Eskens novels. I also enjoyed his novel, Nothing More Dangerous.

      Delete