Saturday, May 22, 2021

Just Like That by Gary D. Schmidt

 

Gary D. Schmidt is a new to me author this year. He's an English professor at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Michigan and is also the author of Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy, which is a Newbery Honor and Printz Honor book. 

I was recommended Just Like That by Gary D. Schmidt by one of my former, undergraduate college professors that I still keep in touch with over 26 years later. I have been recommended several excellent books by forementioned professor and all of the books he has recommended to me over the years have been really good reads.

Just Like That by Gary D. Schmidt is a young adult novel, which contains many layers and nuances to it that made for a great read. So many life lessons and interesting turn of events occur within Just Like That, that it made for a captivating and engaging read from start to finish. 

I loved the writing, the storyline, and characters for Just Like That by Gary D. Schmidt. I look forward to reading more books by Gary D. Schmidt in the future.

Below is the plot summary for Just Like That by Gary D. Schmidt from Amazon:
In this poignant, perceptive, witty novel, Gary D. Schmidt brings authenticity and emotion to multiple plot strands, weaving in themes of grief, loss, redemption, achievement, and love. Following the death of her closest friend in summer 1968, Meryl Lee Kowalski goes off to St. Elene's Preparatory Academy for Girls, where she struggles to navigate the venerable boarding school's traditions and a social structure heavily weighted toward students from wealthy backgrounds. In a parallel story, Matt Coffin has wound up on the Maine coast near St. Elene's with a pillowcase full of money lifted from the leader of a criminal gang, fearing the gang's relentless, destructive pursuit. Both young people gradually dispel their loneliness, finding a way to be hopeful and also finding each other.

I am giving Just Like That by Gary D. Schmidt a rating of 4 stars out of 5 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!!

4 comments:

  1. And once again you have introduced to an author I had not heard of before, but I will be on the lookout for work by him in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's also fun discovering new to me authors, especially if they end up exceeded my expectations.

      Delete