Thursday, December 6, 2018

The Devil, The Lovers, & Me: My Life in Tarot by Kimberlee Auerbach


This year I've been wanting to read many of the books that have been sitting far too long in my 'to be read' pile. The Devil, The Lovers, & Me: My Life in Tarot by Kimberlee Auerbach is a memoir I've had in my 'to be read' pile since December 2010!! 

I actually purchased this memoir on a whim from the bargain book section on Amazon. I'd never heard of The Devil, The Lovers, & Me: My Life in Tarot by Kimberlee Auerbach before. I liked the quirky title and am always up for a good memoir, so decided to purchase it.

As far as a memoir goes, I like how this book is set up! The author takes us through a tarot reading... It's like we're sitting in on the tarot reading with her. Each chapter is titled with the name of a card from her reading and focuses on the meaning of each of the cards. Each tarot card stirs up memories of the author's past, which is shared in each chapter as it pertains to the card's meaning... This makes for an interesting concept for a memoir.

Overall, I thought The Devil, The Lovers, & Me: My Life in Tarot by Kimberlee Auerbach was a good read and funny in parts. Ms. Auerbach's memoir is definitely a journey of self discovery. Trusting your inner wisdom/voice is a must. I also enjoyed reading the author interview at the end of the memoir along with the discussion questions in the reader's guide.

As a side note, The Devil, The Lovers, & Me: My Life in Tarot by Kimberlee Auerbach is the fourth memoir I've read this year that I can recall. In fact, all four memoirs I've read so far this year have been written by women!

The following a summary for The Devil, The Lovers, & Me: My Life in Tarot by Kimberlee Auerbach from Amazon:
Kimmi Auerbach has been in therapy. She’s seen a Reiki Master. She’s even given hypnosis a try. Nobody can give her want she wants—to know her future is going to be bright, that everything will be okay. So she makes an appointment with Iris Goldblatt, “tarot card reader and mirror to the soul.”

Instead of predicting the future, each card sparks a memory—like the time Kimberlee tried to be wild, and instead caught crabs from an Argentinean painter; or the time her father “proposed” at Morton’s Steakhouse (presenting her with an engagement ring for her boyfriend to use); or the moment she found the strength to kick out her freeloading ex.

In a Wizard of Oz like twist of fate, Kimberlee realizes she had the answers all along…and that it’s not about looking into the future, it’s about trusting yourself along the way.
I am giving The Devil, The Lovers, & Me: My Life in Tarot by Kimberlee Auerbach a rating of 3 stars out of 5 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!

4 comments:

  1. Yay for memoirs by women. I have quite a few on my TBR. Just finished Becoming by Michelle Obama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I want to read Becoming by Michelle Obama!! I have so many books in my 'to be read' pile that I have put off acquiring a copy of this memoir to read. Maybe next year?

      Delete
  2. This sounds like fun. I like the Tarot aspect of it, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun read!! And yes, the tarot aspect was a neat future for this read!

      Delete