Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Do You Enjoy Reading Short Stories or Novellas?

This year I've found myself reading a lot more short stories and novellas than I can recall reading in recent years. I enjoy reading short stories and novellas because they're usually fun, fast reads that are great for when you don't have a lot of time to devote to reading books. They're also perfect for time spent traveling, or an afternoon at the beach, etc. 

Plus, I find that reading short stories and novellas are a great way to become acquainted with authors that are new to me without having to plunge into a lengthy novel and discovering I don't like it. Short stories and novellas are akin to dipping your big toe into the shallow end of the pool to test the waters before making the plunge.

What are your thoughts about short stories and novellas? Do you like them or not? Have you read any good short stories or novellas lately that you'd like to share? I'm always open to promising suggestions... So, suggest away! Give me your best short story and novella recommendations.

I read It's a Dog's Life by Dale Mayer, which is a novella/short story that I blogged about on June 13, 2012. Click on the link above to see what I wrote about this fun novella. It's the only novella or short story that I've read so far this year that I would recommend to others. It's not a five star read, but makes for fun beach reading! Plus, who can resist a book with dogs in it??

Until my next post, happy reading!

1 comment:

  1. After I've read a big book, I like to get into reading short stories; it breaks up the monotony of getting into another big read too soon... and besides short stories are fun to read.

    They are so much more fun to write; as their structure is so much tighter than a novel. :D

    ReplyDelete