Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday --- Authors I'd Like to Meet at a Book Signing/Speaking Engagement.


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.


Today is a 'Freebie', which means I get to choose the top ten topic I want to focus on for today's blog post. There are several authors whose books I've enjoyed reading over the years and many of these books gave me a new perspective, insight and information on how to view the world. The following list are the authors that I would most like to meet in person.

1. Lissa Rankin MD --- I read Lissa Rankin's nonfiction book Mind Over Medicine and loved this book! I follow her on Facebook and am inspired by her passion for what she does. I would so love to meet Dr. Rankin in person at a speaking engagement or lecture she is giving.

2. Margaret Atwood --- I'm a longtime fan of Atwood's works. She's a fabulous writer and I would love to meet this amazing woman in person some day!

3. Diana Gabaldon --- I first discovered Gabaldon's novels from my maternal grandmother, who is also an Outlander Fan. I've read several of her novels and have even listened to podcasts she's done. It would be fun to meet her in person.

4. Jerry Spinelli --- Okay, I was first introduced to Jerry Spinelli's novels by a former college professor... I read Stargirl and was instantly hooked on Jerry Spinelli's writing and have read several more books since then.

5. Geraldine Brooks --- I've also been a longtime fan of Geraldine Brooks's novels. She's a fabulous writer and would love to meet this amazing writer in person some day!

6. Tamar Myers --- I've almost read the entire Den of Antiquity Mystery Series, so would love to meet the author behind this cozy mystery series. I find the novels in this series have quite a bit of humor in them, so one assumes the author is quite witty herself in real life as well...There are also some other questions I'd love to ask Ms. Myers regarding the Den of Antiquity Mystery Series!!

7. Amy Stewart *** --- I read both Wicked Plants and Wicked Bugs. I loved reading both of these nonfiction books!! They are filled with so many interesting facts about plants and bugs that I never knew before. Who knew that reading about plants and bugs could be so much fun?

8. Sherman Alexie --- I've only read The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Alexie, but it is really well written and gave me a whole new perspective on the Native American experience from the point of view of a teenage male.

9. Robin LaFevers --- I've been reading the His Fair Assassin Trilogy and am really enjoying it immensely. I only have Mortal Heart left to read in this trilogy. 

10. Garth Stein *** --- The Art of Racing in the Rain became my favorite read for 2013. This novel is really well written and had me in tears while reading certain scenes. One of the leading characters is a dog... I love dogs, so this novel really touched my soul. My oldest dog, Roxy, past away last November and I'm once again reminded of The Art of Racing in the Rain. If you've read this novel, you'll know what I mean.

*** Exciting news, I actually was able to briefly meet Garth Stein at an author event/book signing event at a local, indie bookstore on Friday, March 6, 2015 at Town Center Books in Pleasanton, California!  Check out my blog post regarding this fun author/book signing event.

I was also able to briefly meet Amy Stewart at the Bay Area Book Festival on Sunday, June 7 2015!! Check out my review of time spend at the Bay Area Book Festival.

I was able to meet Sherman Alexie @ The Bay Area Book Festival in June 2016.

Which authors would you like to meet in person?

59 comments:

  1. I have yet to read any of her major works, but I'd imagine meeting Margaret Atwood would be pretty awesome; her interviews and her Twitter are pretty great :) Awesome list! Good question as to which authors I'd like to meet...Maybe Brandon Sanderson (love his fantasy books!), Alice Munro (love her short stories--been meaning also to watch that Skype (or was it Google?) hangout she and Margaret Atwood had last year or so), and V.E. Schwab (never read any of her books but her Twitter is awesome) :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Great topic choice! I love meeting authors. I work in a bookstore, so I'm very lucky to have met and become friends with many over the years. Of course, there are a few I'd still love to meet. Diana Gabaldon is one. She was signing books near me last year, but there were SO many people I just couldn't do it. I heard she's very nice though. Here's my TTT

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, love the topic. You have some great authors listed here and I have a few new authors to check out too :)

    Thanks for visiting my TTT.

    Kat @ Readiculous Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome topic! I would love to meet John Green one day!!!

    Thanks for visiting my TTT!

    Kaitlyn @ One Night Book Stand Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great topic! I would love to meet Robin LaFevers! Also Ally Carter and Katie McGarry would be high on my list for this one :-)

    Em @ http://theyabookbutterfly.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! Not authors I would read personally but great recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOoh nice topic choice! I should've done this one! There are still sooo many authors I am dying to meet! And I feel lucky to have met so many of my faves already! Great picks!

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    Have a GREAT day!

    NEW Follower :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I volunteered at the Toronto International Book Fair last year and Margaret Atwood walked right past me. It was definitely a start struck moment for me. I would LOVE to meet Sherman Alexie too! The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian was such a great book! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a fun list! I'd love to see Geraldine Brooks. Her books are amazing

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great idea for a top ten list! I also ADORE Geraldine Brooks, I imagine she would be fascinating to meet. I guess my number one author I'd love to meet would be Stephen King:-) Thanks for visiting my top ten!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to meet J.K Rowling, I would have a million questions for her. I think I would be too shy to ask any though, I would probably just stare at her in wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, that would be for sure a nice gathering! May I come too?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been able to meet several authors that I love but there are always more I would like to meet. I wish we could have more time to meet them at signings.....let's just have dinner with JK Rowling shall we? Thanks for stopping by my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Robin LaFevers would be at the top of my list if I did this topic!!

    Eileen @ BookCatPin

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great authors! Margaret Atwood is amazing, isn't she! I think I'd be so intimidated that I wouldn't be able to speak if I actually did meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happily, I have met Jerry Spinelli and he is as wonderful in person as he seems he must be from his writing.

    Readerbuzz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerry Spinelli seems like he's be such a nice person to meet in real life!! Thank you for sharing your experience.

      Delete
  17. What a great topic! I would love to meet Diana Gabaldon!
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great list! I'd love to meet Robin LaFevers too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great topic choice! There are so many authors that I would love to meet that I wouldn't be able to choose! New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope you get to meet all these authors! It's such a thrilling experience getting to meet an author and have them sign their book for you :)
    Thanks for stopping by my blog! - Maggie @ macarons & paperbacks

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great creative topic and a lot of great authors on your list! For some reason I don't like the idea of meeting or even listening to interviews with fiction writers - like it would somehow break the 4th wall or something. It's pretty silly. I was just thinking the other day it would be fun to spend some time with the non-fiction writers Mary Roach and Bill Bryson, possibly together as I suspect hilarity would ensue.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a creative topic choice! Meeting some of my favorite authors is a dream of mine; the people at the top of my list are Morgan Matson, Robin Benway, and Heather Vogel Frederick. Great list! :)

    Bella @ Ciao Bella
    http://chicandpetite.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I almost met Robin LaFevers once but then I was sent out of town for work...it was a very sad and she hasn't been back this way since =(

    My TTT is here.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Atwood would be an amazing author to meet in person! Great list!
    New follower :)
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your topic and will definitely borrow it for a future post on my blog. I like your answers.Very well thought out. Rather than lay out my whole list here (I will in a future blog post thanks to you wink, wink), I will list a few:
    Definitely Diane Galbaldon. I've only read Outlander and one day would love to finish the series but wow what a book. Susanna Kearsley because let's face it her books and the leading men are scrumptious. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie because she is such an eloquent speaker and amazing author. The list goes on. Thank you for the visit. I'll be sure to check back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great list! I've only read Garth Stein's book from your list. But I wanted to meet Diana Gabaldon who wrote the popular Outlander series :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. You have a great list! I would love to meet Jerry Spinelli as well, but I feel like I would get super star-struck!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ooh great topic. Margaret Atwood and Robyn LeFevers would definitely be on my list too. :D Thanks for stopping by my blog. Happy Tuesday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great topic! So many great authors as well. I love Geraldine Brooks and I also love her husband's books. Have you read any Tony Horwitz?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read anything by Tony Horwitz... Another author to check out.

      Delete
  30. Great topic choice this week! There are so many amazing authors out there that I would love to meet but I think the top of my list would be Dean Koontz. He's the author I've read the most books by over the years. I'm afraid I'd get all tongue tied and forget how to speak though haha.

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT earlier :)
    Sheri @ Tangled Up In Books

    ReplyDelete
  31. If I could meet any author (alive or dead) I would 100% pick Oscar Wilde. I love his larger than life personality and how witty and wise he was. Though I would also love to meet Atwood, she is such a great writer!
    Thanks for stopping by The Local Muse

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'd love to meet Robin LaFevers too! Awesome list!

    I've nominated you for The Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award! See my post here - http://blueeyebooks.blogspot.com/2015/01/sisterhood-of-world-bloggers-award-part.html

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for nominating for The Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award!

      Delete
  33. I would love to meet Diana Gabaldon too!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Fabulous list! It would be amazing to meet some authors! Thanks for stopping my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great topic! I've been lucky enough to have met my Top 3 Favorite Authors -- Jim Butcher, Nalini Singh and Richelle Mead. I've met some others who were amazing too, like Margaret Stohl, Marie Lu and Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner. All of which happened within a year. There was a great bookstore by me that has since closed :(

    I'm actually unfamiliar with all your picks except Diana G. The Outlander television show is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh oh I'd LOVE to meet Jerry Spinelli! Milkweed is one of my all time top favourite books. x) Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great list! I really don't know who I'd like to meet. I guess Maureen Johnson for one because she seems so funny and just really normal and nerdy.

    Thanks for commenting on my TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great topic. I would love to meet Laura Hillenbrand (Seabiscuit and Unbroken) and Gretchen Rubin (The Happiness Project).

    I should challenge myself to read Margaret Atwood. Seems everyone loves her.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love my Wicked Plants book! It's so interesting to read about! I also love the His Fair Assassin trilogy! This was a great topic!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great topic, there are a ton of authors I would like to meet, too many to name. Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a great topic! I was very lucky to meet Margaret Atwood last year at a book signing (you can't help getting lost in her amazing blue eyes) and I saw Diana Gabaldon at a Q&A. I've wanted to read Sherman Alexie and Garth Stein's books, but haven't gotten around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great topic. I don't know, who'd I like to meet. I've met quite a few authors, but - maybe Stephen King? But also maybe not? Brandon Sanderson, definitely, but there's a signing near me at the end of the month (eeee!). Oh! Neil Gaiman! And maybe John Scalzi? I feel like he'd be good for an event, very funny. This is slowly turning into a list of just SFF authors.
    Anyway - great bunch, I'd love to meet Margaret Atwood, even though I haven't read anything by her yet.

    ReplyDelete
  43. :) Would love to have coffee with Margaret Atwood.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Such an awesome topic!!!! I hope you do get to meet them all someday maybe even in 2015 :p

    ReplyDelete
  45. OH I SERIOUSLY ALMOST DID THIS TOPIC! Some authors I really would like to meet are Maggie Steifvater, Elizabeth Wein, and Leigh Bardugo.

    ...though of course, this is excluding dead people. If we allowed dead people into the picture, I would give you a list a mile long. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  46. What a great list!
    Sherman Alexis is ridiculously awesome! I want to see him again.
    Jerry Spinelli was at NCTE this year, but I missed him :( I was so upset! He is a favorite.
    I don't know some of the other authors, so I'll have to look them up.
    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  47. This is such a fun topic! I would also love to meet Sherman Alexie! From his works and following him on twitter, I get the sense that he's a pretty hilarious guy and it'd be so much fun to meet him!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Great idea for a topic. Margaret Atwood and Diana Gabaldon would definitely make my list. Also Stephen King and George R R Martin would probably be there too :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. Great topic! Fingers crossed you get to meet them some day :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. Thank you everyone for stopping by and leaving me a comment on my Top Ten Tuesday post this week!! I loved reading your comments... All fifty comments by wonderful readers and bloggers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Oh, this is such a fun topic! I'd love to meet Diana Gabaldon - I've only read the first two Outlander books, but they're among my favorites. Plus she just seems like such a friendly, sassy lady. I've luckily met a few favorite authors (Neil Gaiman, Elizabeth Gilbert, Chris Bohjalian, Jennie Fields, Alison Pace), but one woman I'd really love to meet is Mary Oliver. She's my favorite poet and a total inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. A great topic for this week's TTT! Hopefully you'll be able to meet one of these authors someday, fingers crossed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. Margaret Atwood for sure. She's a rock star. I would also really like to meet e. lockhart, Meg Cabot, and John Green. Great topic!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Great topic. I have been told by everyone, and I mean everyone, that I have to read Outlander. I actually helped promote the book for its 20th anniversary, but still haven't read it. Shame on me.

    I would love to meet Stephen King, Jerry Jenkins, and Lisa Gardner.

    Thanks for visiting The Book Connection.

    ReplyDelete