Sunday, June 24, 2012

Expanding One's Reading Horizons

Do you pretty much read books from the same genre(s) or books written by a few select authors you enjoy reading? Or do you frequently branch out and try reading new authors and reading books from many genres?

If you're like me, then it's some sort of combination of the above. Sure, I'm like most people and stick to my favorite genres and authors, but I also like to branch out and read new books by different authors and from different genres. I enjoy reading a wide variety of subjects and also discovering new authors.

So, how do go about expanding your reading horizons? For me, it can be a recommended book or author from a trusted friend whose taste in books is one you can trust. I also read a wide variety of nonfiction books based on my current interests... For instances, I enjoy reading biographies and memoirs from a diverse crowd ranging from the famous to not so famous. 

I am currently interested in reading books from writers of different countries. I came across an article on the Flavorwire website titled 10 Contemporary Japanese Writers You Should Know and decided to check out the article. Some of the Japanese authors mentioned I had heard of before and some I had not... I've not read any books by these writers, so now I'll see which titles are most appealing to me & discover new talent! 

My biggest problem is that there are so many great books out there to read and so little time to read them all!! Until my next post, happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment