Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday --- Top Ten Things I Like/Dislike When It Comes To Romances In Books


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.


This week I am going to share 5 things I like and 5 things I dislike when it comes to romances in book!

Five things I LIKE when it comes to romances in book:

1. Steamy romantic/tasteful erotic scenes in novels. There has to be a good storyline too... Otherwise sex scenes by themselves are just plain weird!
2. Well developed/well written romance stories with good character development.
3. Contemporary romance novels are a plus... Usually, I'm not a big on historical romance fiction... And futuristic or fantasy romance novels are hit or miss for me.
4. Realistic relationships... I totally get that fiction novels are written for entertainment and the author has to keep things interesting for their readers, but don't make romantic relationships overtly phony.
5. See # 2, I can't emphasize one that enough!

Five things I DISLIKE when it comes to romances in book:

1. Women who can't take the initiative in the relationship. I mean really, this is the 21st century. If you like someone ask them out instead of pining for them and/or waiting for the guy to make a move. You can let the person know your interested in them... Sure, it is difficult to make yourself vulnerable, when you don't know how the other person feels about you, but if you never make a move, you may lose out on a fabulous relationship. I simply don't like it when authors make the man (usually) be the one to make the first move.
2. Romance novels that contain too many typical relationship stereotypes.
3. Writers that throw in too many misunderstandings in their storyline to prolong the inevitable... You know the leading characters are going to hook up by the end of the novel, so stop toying with us and make it happen already!! We want to see the romance blossom already and see the relationship in full bloom. A few bumps in the road are fine and make for a fun read... But too many hurdles for a couple in a book becomes annoying really fast.
4. Abusive relationships.
5. I'm not into BDSM either in novels.

What things do you like or dislike when it comes to romances in books?

23 comments:

  1. OOh nice ones! I agree as well! For some reason though this was a hard one for me to think of 10 to!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a difficult time with coming up with a list... Especially for my likes!

      Delete
  2. Great list. I TOTALLY agree with you about misunderstandings. When the author throws in half a dozen misunderstandings that can be cleared up with just a few seconds of communication, that drives me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree that too many misunderstandings is annoying! Abusive relationships are a bad thing unless it's part of the plot and someone overcomes one. Great list! I was lame this week and modified the topic because I was having trouble with it last night. Of course I can list about a hundred things today, but oh well. Here's my TTT

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't come up with 10 dislikes - I should have looked at yours first to give me some hints! Love the #1 and #3 dislikes!! Here's mine! http://hollykerr.ca/top-ten-tuesday-likedislike-romance/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you about those misunderstandings. Enough already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! I agree with the realistic romances!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and commenting on post post.

      Delete
  7. I hate miscommunication! It happens so I'm okay with it a few times, but some books make it seem like normal conversation just doesn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. Happy reading to you!!

      Delete
  8. I agree, abusive relationships are not okay, even in fiction. It's just not fun to read about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. Happy reading to you!!

      Delete
  9. I like your list. Personally I like BDSM, but too many people write it (I'm looking at you 50 shades of suck) with absolutely none or limited knowledge of how a relationship works or how a healthy BDSM relationship works. I'm not even going to go into my many many complaints!

    I'm now following your blog and I can't wait to see more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for leaving me a comment and following my blog!! Happy reading to you!

      Delete
  10. I think I'm on both sides of misunderstandings. On one side yes I can't stand them, I will probably end up wanting to yell "Just talk it out already!" But then on the other side they kind of amuse me; I don't know why I've always liked people in books trying to explain themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh these are great points. The only way I can take the abusive relationships in books are when it's the main storyline and the victim has to get away or survive. There was this twisted one I read, Before I go to Sleep. Heard they are making it into a movie. Her memory making ability is shot like in 50 first dates and her husband uses it to his advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with you on pretty much all of these! The misunderstanding thing gets so, so old after a while. Sure, I get it happening once, but like, come on! Get yourselves together! And I am with you- sex scenes with two people who have no business being together (or at least, I have no idea why they're together) is so, so awkward! Great list :)
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete