Monday, December 13, 2021

RIP - Anne Rice

 

Such sad news to learn of Anne Rice's passing due to complications from a stroke this past weekend. She wrote more than 30 novels during her lifetime and is such a beloved author to her fans. 

I've only read two or three of her novels back in the 1990s and will have to read a few more of them in the future.

I read the following New York Times article titled, Anne Rice, Who Spun Gothic Tales of Vampires, Dies at 80 by Neil Genzlinger. In the article, Neil Genzinger wrote the following:
Anne Rice, the Gothic novelist best known for “Interview With the Vampire,” the 1976 book that in 1994 became a popular film starring Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt, died on Saturday at a hospital in Rancho Mirage, Calif. She was 80.

Her son, Christopher Rice, wrote on social media that the cause was complications from a stroke.

Ms. Rice was a largely unknown writer when she turned a short story she had written in the late 1960s into “Interview With the Vampire,” her first published novel. It features a solitary vampire named Louis who is telling his life story to a reporter, but Ms. Rice said the tale was her story as well.

“I really got into the character,” she told The New York Times in 1988. “For the first time, I was able to describe my reality, the dark, gothic influence on my childhood. It’s not fantasy for me. My childhood came to life for me.”

The article goes on to to chronicle more about Anne Rice's life.

Here's an interesting side note to add to my post. In my early days as a newbie blogger, I'd made a post featuring Anne Rice's rerelease of her 'Sleeping Beauty' trilogy. Suddenly, I had a huge spike in terms of traffic to my blog with several page views of my blog post featuring the news that Anne Rice was rereleasing her 'Sleeping Beauty' trilogy along with a few comments to the blog post itself. Come to find out, Anne Rice had featured or shared my post on one of her social media platforms (or was it her blog???), I was floored and grateful.

2 comments:

  1. Such a nice story about your connection with Anne Rice. My older daughter is a big fan of hers and I think has probably read all her books. The only one I've ever read was Interview With the Vampire. I enjoyed it well enough but apparently not enough to pick up any of her other books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read Interview With the Vampire and The Witching Hour by Anne Rice. I think I liked both novels, but haven't read any of her other novels.

      Delete