Sunday, December 26, 2021

A Wrestling Life: The Inspiring Stories of Dan Gable by Dan Gable

 


I am a University of Iowa graduate!! During my time at the University of Iowa, Dan Gable was the head coach for the wrestling team. I wasn't big into wrestling during my college days... However, Dan Gable was and still is a very legendary figure in the world of wrestling. Gable won a gold medal at the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich, Germany while on the US men's wrestling team. In 2020, Dan Gable was given the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Plus, he has received many other accolades.

I decided to listen to the unabridged audio version of A Wrestling Life: The Inspiring Stories of Dan Gable because of Dan Gable's legendary fame and his ties to my alma mater. I enjoyed listening A Wrestling Life: The Inspiring Stories of Dan Gable by Dan Gable. It reads like a series of short stories about Dan Gable's life to include stories from his childhood and his early family life. How Dan Gable became a wrestler. Gable's older sister's rape and murder at the hands of a neighbor. Gable's college days as a wrestler, plus Gable's climb to the Olympics, and his life as a coach at Iowa. I enjoyed learning about his philosophy as a coach and his personal life. A good overall read. 

My only major complaint about A Wrestling Life: The Inspiring Stories of Dan Gable by Dan Gable is that I didn't care for the narrator's voice for this book.

Below is the publisher's summary for A Wrestling Life: The Inspiring Stories of Dan Gable by Dan Gable from Amazon:

What does it take to be an Olympic gold medalist and to coach a collegiate team to 15 NCAA titles? In A Wrestling Life: The Inspiring Stories of Dan Gable, famed wrestler and wrestling coach Dan Gable tells engaging and inspiring stories of his childhood in Waterloo, Iowa; overcoming the murder of his sister as a teenager; his sports career from swimming as a young boy, to his earliest wrestling matches, through the 1972 Olympics; coaching at the University of Iowa from the Banachs to the Brands; life-changing friendships he made along the way; and tales of his family life off the mat. A celebration of determination, teamwork, and the persevering human spirit, A Wrestling Life captures Gable's methods and philosophies for reaching individual greatness as well as the incredible amount of fulfillment and satisfaction that comes from working as part of a team.

I am giving A Wrestling Life: The Inspiring Stories of Dan Gable by Dan Gable a rating of 4 stars out of 5 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!!

2 comments:

  1. It's always interesting, I think, to read a book for which you have a (at least somewhat) personal connection. I'm glad you found this one enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete