Sunday, April 14, 2019

Life In Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina by Misty Copeland


I love ballet!! I enjoy seeing ballet performed, even if I don't see it performed as often as I would like to. 

I'd always wanted to attend an American Ballet Theatre (ABT) performance, which became a dream come true for me in 2012 when my husband and l saw them perform at the Segerstrom Center for the Arts in Costa Mesa, Califorinia. It was during this performance that I saw Misty Copeland perform as a soloist. In 2015, Misty Copeland become the first African American Principal Ballerina in ABT's history.

When Misty Copeland's memoir, Life In Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina, was published in March 2014, I knew I definitely had to read her memoir. This year, I finally read Life In Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina by Misty Copeland.

I had known some of the major bullet points of Misty Copeland's life, but her memoir filled in the gaps regarding the details of her life that I didn't know previously. Ms. Copeland demonstrates perseverance over adversity, dedication, poise, and grace through both good and bad times throughout her life. 

In her memoir, Ms. Copeland outlines her home life growing up, school life, her ballet career from age 13 onward (including injuries, dealing with racism within the professional world of ballet, finding mentors, and eventually finding her groove/confidence within the professional world of ballet), and her personal life and professional adventures outside of ABT.

Below is a YouTube video of Misty Copeland talking about her memoir.



I really enjoyed reading Life In Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina by Misty Copeland and am giving it a rating of 4 stars out of 5 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!!

6 comments:

  1. I love that in ballet the dancers are often in pain but dance on serenely, gracefully... If I could half a teensy bit of that grace... Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ballet dancers do make it seem like their moves are effortless and most definitely graceful for sure. Cheers!

      Delete
  2. I wanted to be a ballerina, one of about a hundred things I wanted to do when I grew up. :-) I attended a ballet production of Swan Lake once in my teenage years; only time I've seen ballet live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a youngster, I too wanted to be a ballerina and about 100 other things too! Ballets are fun to attend as well as other types of dance.

      Delete
  3. Me too! I wanted to take ballet but it wasn't in the cards. I cannot wait to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Life In Motion once you read it.

      Delete