Monday, April 21, 2014

The 118th Boston Marathon is Today!

Rhoda in Boston!
Today the famed Boston Marathon takes place. I'm not a runner, but a few of my family members are big time runners. 

My sister-in-law, Rhoda, is a competitive runner and she is participating in the Boston Marathon today for the 4th time. Way to go, Rhoda!! I'm so proud of your success as a runner. You've managed to juggle competitive running, with working a full-time job, and also as a busy wife and mother to two fabulously children.

Below are a few questions I posed to Rhoda not long ago about here life as a runner. Read on!

1. When did you become interesting running?
 

RS: RUNNING HAS ALWAYS BEEN PART OF MY LIFE SINCE I WAS A KID THROUGH SPORTS. COMPETITIVE RUNNING AS AN "AGE GROUPER" CAME LATER ON IN MY ADULT LIFE.

2. Why is running important to you?
 

RS: RUNNING ENCOMPASSES STRENGTH (BOTH PHYSICAL & MENTAL), DISCIPLINE AND DETERMINATION - ALL OF WHICH ARE MY EVERY DAY WAY OF LIFE. RUNNING IS PARALLEL IN THE WAY I CONDUCT LIFE WITH REGARDS TO MANAGING WORKING FULL TIME, BEING A WIFE AND MOTHER OF TWO KIDS.

3. How often do you run and what is your training schedule like when you train for events like the Boston Marathon?
 

RS: I RUN ALL YEAR ROUND FOR FITNESS AND SELECT KEY RACES AND TRAIN ACCORDINGLY. SINCE I ALWAYS HAVE A FITNESS BASE & FOUNDATION, MY TRAINING SCHEDULE FOR AN EVENT SUCH AS THE BOSTON MARATHON REQUIRES ABOUT 14 WEEKS OF TRUE MARATHON TRAINING. AS I'M CONSIDERED A "MASTERS RUNNER" NOW, I HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT BALANCING WEEKLY MILEAGE AND SPEED TRAINING. MY PREVIOUS PEAK MILEAGE USED TO BE 70 MILES BUT HAVE HAD TO LOWER THE VOLUME DOWN TO 50 MILES. I RUN 5 DAYS A WEEK WITH A PURPOSE FOR EACH RUN. EVERY SUNDAY RUN IS ON HILLS AND ROLLING TERRAIN TO MIMIC THE BOSTON COURSE. WITH REGARDS TO TRAINING TIME ON MY FEET, THIS EQUATES TO 10+ HOURS WEEKLY.

4. Do you listen to music or audiobooks while you run?
 

RS: NO - I FOCUS ON THE RUN AND STAY IN TUNED WITH MY BODY. EVERYTHING ELSE WOULD BE A DISTRACTION FROM WHAT I NEED TO GET DONE.

5. Which books, blogs, or websites about running have you read and/or visited that have helped you become a better runner?


RS: I FREQUENTLY VISIT RUNNING COMPETITOR AND TRIATHLETE COMPETITOR AND READ ARTICLES IN GENERAL.

6. This is your fourth time running the Boston Marathon. What are your future running goals? Ultra-marathons, Ironmans?? 


RS: THIS WILL BE MY LAST COMPETITIVE MARATHON FOR A WHILE. MY FOCUS AFTER THE MARATHON WILL BE WORKING TOWARD COMPETING IN A FULL IRONMAN TO QUALITY FOR KONA IRONMAN BEFORE I TURN 50. 

 
Thank you, Rhoda for taking the time to answer a few questions about your life as a runner. I wish you the best on your run today in the Boston Marathon. May you receive your best running time during today's event.

Good luck with your future goal of competing in a full Ironman. I know you'll be successful in your dream of qualifying for the Kona Ironman before you turn 50 years old! You glow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment