Thursday, April 24, 2014

The Christmas Train by David Baldacci

Unabridged Audio Version
I usually have mixed feelings about reading Christmas holiday themed novels because sometimes these novels can be pretty sappy and predictable in their attempts to convey the message of the holiday season. 

So, when I made the decision to listen to the unabridged audio version of The Christmas Train by David Baldacci, I had expected it to be both sappy and predictable in its holiday cheer and message of the season. But alas, I was pleasantly surprised by the storyline and its characters! Yes, there is a holiday message contained within its pages, but it isn't an over the top, in your face one.

What did I liked about The Christmas Train? Well, I'm glad you asked! I liked that it is a holiday novel and the story takes place on a cross country train trip from Washington, D. C. to Los Angeles. I personally like train trips and have always wanted to take a long distance train trip, so this novel was a fun read for me. I also loved the eclectic characters and the storyline. Mishaps take place like an train delays and a thief who steals stuff. A wedding also takes place and a story of love for another couple happens. I enjoyed the unexpected ending!! The reader for this novel was also awesome. It all made for a great read.... Or listen in my case.

Here's an overview of The Christmas Train from the Barnes and Noble website as follows:
Disillusioned journalist Tom Langdon must get from Washington D.C. to L.A in time for Christmas. Forced to travel by train, he begins a journey of rude awakenings, thrilling adventures and holiday magic. He has no idea that the locomotives pulling him across America will actually take him into the rugged terrain of his own heart, as he rediscovers people's essential goodness and someone very special he believed he had lost. The Christmas Train is filled with memorable characters who have packed their bags with as much wisdom as mischief...and shows how we do get second chances to fulfill our deepest hopes and dreams, especially during this season of miracles.  
Tom Langdon, a weary and cash-strapped journalist, is banned from flying when a particularly thorough airport security search causes him to lose his cool. Now, he must take the train if he has any chance of arriving in Los Angeles in time for Christmas with his girlfriend. To finance the trip, he sells a story about a train ride taken during the Christmas season.

I'm giving The Christmas Train a rating of 8 stars out of 10 stars. Until my next post, happy reading!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment