Thursday, April 17, 2014

Eggs by Jerry Spinelli

Cover of Eggs
I'm a fan of Jerry Spinelli's novels and Eggs happens to be my sixth read by Jerry Spinelli to date.

Eggs is approximately 240 pages and I finished reading it in a single day. It is a book intended for young adults and is written in Spinelli's trademark style.

I have mixed feelings about this novel. Although I feel that Eggs is well written, filled with excellent character development and also has a great storyline with a good message, I must admit that Eggs is currently my least favorite novel I've read by Jerry Spinelli.

The following is the product overview of Eggs from the Barnes and Noble website, which pretty much sums Eggs up in a nutshell:
Eggs is a quirky and moving novel about two very complicated, damaged children. David has recently lost his mother to a freak accident, his salesman father is constantly on the road, and he is letting his anger out on his grandmother. Primrose lives with her unstable, childlike, fortuneteller mother, and the only evidence of the father she never knew is a framed picture. Despite their age difference (David is 9, Primrose is 13), they forge a tight yet tumultuous friendship, eventually helping each other deal with what is missing in their lives.  
In general, I liked both of the main characters, David and Primrose. Both of them are dealing with loss, grief and/or anger in some way. Each of them is trying to deal with their emotions in their own way, which allows them to form a unique friendship that eventually helps them heal their lives.

I am giving Eggs a rating of 7 stars out of of 10 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment