Thursday, June 15, 2023

The Lottery by Shirley Jackson

 


Okay, so this is my second time around listening to The Lottery by Shirley Jackson as I listened to a collection of short stories written by Shirley Jackson back in early 2021 and it was one of the best stories in the entire collection.

The Lottery is definitely worth the listen. I can fully understand why it won the O. Henry Prize Stories award in 1949. In fact, The Lottery was written in 1948 and was first published in The New Yorker magazine. The Lottery caused a very negative response from readers and some people even cancelled their subscriptions to The New Yorker due to Jackson's short story! Hate mail was even sent throughout the summer in which this short story was published. (Wikipedia is the source of most of the above bit of information I learned about The Lottery.)

If you haven't read, nor know the plot summary for The Lottery, then I'd rather not spoil it for you! Just go ahead and read/listen to it for yourself. It makes for great reading if you like short stories.

I am giving The Lottery by Shirley Jackson a rating of 4 stars out of 5 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!

8 comments:

  1. This is a good short story; I read it years ago when I was still in high school and have never forgotten it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of the few short stories I've liked by Shirley Jackson. I have enjoyed her novels more.

      Delete
  2. This was the starter to one of our Six Degrees of Separation. I read it then and it is captivating.

    If you are interested, here is my review.

    Have you read The Wave? I think you might like that story, as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read 'The Wave'... I've never heard of it before. I'll check out your reviews!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your visit there. I am sure you will like it just as much as I did. It's a story that stays with you for your whole life.

      Delete
    3. The best types of books are those that stick with you for the rest of your life because they make you think or view topics in an entirely different way.

      Delete
    4. Definitely. These both belong to that category.

      Delete