Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Mid Year Book Freakout Tag 2021



1. What Is The Best Book You’ve Read So Far In 2021?

I've read 51 books to date... Narrowing my choices down to a single favorite is rough! I'm not sure I can pick a single favorite read for the year so far... 

My nonfiction choice would definitely be, The Three Mothers: How the Mothers of Martin Luther King, Jr., Malcolm X, and James Baldwin Shaped a Nation by Anna Malaika Tubbs. 

For fiction, my favorite choice at the moment would be Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen by Susan Gregg Gilmore... However, I've read many excellent novels, so my opinion may change depending on my mood.

2. Which Book is the Best Sequel You’ve Read So Far in 2021?

I started reading the 'Rosalind Thorne' historical mysteries series by Darcie Wilde earlier this year and A Purely Private Matter by Darcie Wilde (the 2nd book in this series) was excellent! I actually enjoyed it more than the 1st novel in the series.

3. A 2021 Book Release You Haven't Read Yet, But Want Read Before The Year Is Up?

Arsenic and Adobo (A Tita Rosie's Kitchen Mystery) by Mia P. Manansala

4. Most Anticipated Book Release(s) For the Second Half of 2021?


Dead Wednesday
by Jerry Spinelli (August 3, 2021)
These Precious Days: Essays by Ann Patchett (November 23, 2021)

5. Biggest Book Disappointments

Three stand outs for biggest book disappointments.

A) The Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley Jackson
B) Brat: An 80s Story by Andrew McCarthy
C) The First Counsel by Brad Meltzer

6. Your Biggest Book Surprise

Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen by Susan Gregg Gilmore.

I didn't expect to love this novel as much as I did. It is really good!
7. Favorite New Author. (Debut or New to You)

Gary D. Schmidt is my favorite new to me author of 2021! I read his novel Just Like That and loved it! Gary D. Schmidt is a college professor and writes young adult fiction.

8. Your Newest Fictional Crush?

Jeb from the Splintered trilogy by A. G. Howard... A good guy, with a little bit of edginess thrown in for depth. I'm currently listening to the 3rd installment of the Splintered trilogy now.

9. Your Newest Favorite Character?

Meryl Lee Kowalski from Just Like That by Gary D. Schmidt. Meryl Lee is in middle school. She goes through some difficult times and sees tremendous growth as an individual. She has a great head on her shoulders.

10. Did You Read a Book That Made You Cry?

None of the books I've read this year so far have made me cry.

11. Which 2021 Book Made You Happy?

The Little Book of Lost Words: Collywobbles, Snollygosters, and 86 Other Surprisingly Useful Terms Worth Resurrecting by Joe Gillard is an awesome read!! I love this hardback book with unique words worth resurrecting. The words themselves are funky and made me smile learning the meanings of them.

12. Most Beautiful Book You’ve Purchased So Far This Year (Or Received)?

Umm, I don't know! I do like the artwork on the book covers for the Splintered trilogy, but I'm not sure I'd say they are the most beautiful books acquired this year.

13. Which Books Do You Need to Read by the End of the Year?

No specific book titles other than Arsenic and Adobo (A Tita Rosie's Kitchen Mystery) by Mia P. Manansala and Ensared by A. G. Howard. I just want to reach the goal of reading at least another 24 more books for 2021.

14. Do You Have a Favorite Book Community Member?

No, I don't have a favorite book community member as I have so many book bloggers that I follow that put out great content.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, gerat, another "Mid Year Freakouter". I know you announced it on my list and I'm glad you joined.

    Same as you, I had no idea for a favourite book community member. There are a few - like you - I talk to a lot, others that don't blog very often but I still connect to, whom to choose? No idea.

    Anyway, thanks for this, it was nice to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment! Happy reading during the last half 2021!

      Delete
  2. Interesting post. I'd be hard pressed to name my favorite book so far. I've read a lot of really good books and only a few stinkers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you would it difficult to pick out a single favorite book for the year too!!

      Delete
  3. Great job with reading 51 books so far! And I get it, it so hard to pick your favorite book(s)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I've had a great year of reading so far.

      Delete