Saturday, July 26, 2014

Flash Gold by Lindsay Buroker

I'm new to the steampunk genre. I'm trying to branch out and read books that fall into genres that I normally wouldn't read. 

Earlier this summer, I selected a few steampunk novellas from Amazon to read on my Kindle. Flash Gold by Lindsay Buroker is my latest steampunk read at 56 pages in length.

I thought this novella was written well enough by the author. I enjoyed the characters, the plot and action/adventure, but I'm just not sure that I'm into steampunk fiction all that much. I like the concept of steampunk as it makes for an interesting one to write about in books, novels or short stories. Perhaps, I simply haven't found the right steampunk story that suits me?

Here's the plot summary for Flash Gold from the Amazon website:
Eighteen-year-old Kali McAlister enters her steam-powered "dogless sled" in a race, intending to win the thousand-dollar prize and escape remote Moose Hollow forever. The problem? Fortune seekers and airship pirates are after her for the secret to flash gold, her late father's alchemical masterpiece.

With her modified rifle and a pocketful of home-made smoke bombs, Kali wouldn't normally hide from a confrontation, but taking on a whole airship single-handedly is a daunting task. Unfortunately, the other racers won't assist her--they're too busy scheming ways to sabotage her unorthodox sled.

When a sword-slinging stranger shows up, wanting to hire on as her protector, she's sure he has ulterior motives, but he's the only one interested in helping her. The question is...why?

I'm giving Flash Gold a rating of 6.5 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment