Sunday, March 2, 2014

Steinbeck's Ghost by Lewis Buzbee

I recently listened to the unabridged audio version of Steinbeck's Ghost by Lewis Buzbee and read by Christopher Lane.

I enjoyed listening to Steinbeck's Ghost for several reasons as follows:

* It was well read by Christopher Lane. I love well done dramatic readings and Christopher Lane does not disappoint.

* Great storyline and well developed characters. I enjoyed all of the characters, but I especially liked the character of Hilario (aka Hil).

* It contains a mystery and I love a good mystery.

* I'm a John Steinbeck, so was drawn to this novel due to its title and storyline. I wasn't disappointed because the story takes place in Salinas, California and features some of the characters mentioned in a few of Steinbeck's novels. The leading character, Travis, even spots the ghost of John Steinbeck writing his novels in his former home.

* I love public libraries, so was thrilled to see that a public library was a major part of the storyline. I loved that Lewis Buzbee highlighted how important librarians and reading books from the library are within a community in Steinbeck's Ghost. Libraries, in real life, have faced budget cuts over the years and in Steinbeck's Ghost the Salinas Library faces closure... With community support rallying around the Salinas Library, will the library be saved??

* I also enjoyed reading how the leading characters of Hil and Travis, teenage boys, are both inspired and empowered to help save the Salinas Library.

Steinbeck's Ghost is a novel for kids aged 10+, but I enjoyed reading this book even though I'm an adult.

I'm giving Steinbeck's Ghost a rating of 8 stars out of 10 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment