Thursday, April 18, 2013

A Library Made From Shipping Containers!!

The Amin Library -- Photo Credit dpavilion Architects
The Amin Library in Batu, Indonesia contains 6,000 books and is constructed of eight very colorful, recycled shipping containers!

I actually learned about the Amin Library through the designboom website and discovered the following information about the library's layout:
Each of the colored boxes are attributed to a different function: the blue volume is for entertainment and popular books; the red containers extend out as a canopy over an open-air circular reading terrace, and holds the science and technology books; the yellow is reserved for the women's reading room; the green greets visitors with the main lobby space. the actual built structure provides only the foundation for the containers hoisted upon steel stilts. 
Additionally, the Amin Library even houses a small medical clinic, which is free for those living in the community! How awesome is that?!

Click on the designboom link above to see more photographs of the Amin Library. This library looks so awesome! 

4 comments:

  1. Not on topic here... but I understand you'd like a copy of Ged Maybury's 'Nosebleed'. He's contacted me and would love to send you a copy of it, asking you to pay for it equaling US$1 to AUST$1.

    As you know me on Bookcrossing, could you please contact me through there via a PM as soon as you can? He's eager to send it off to you asap. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good web site! I truly love how it is simple on my eyes and the data are well written. I am wondering how I might be notified when a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your feed which must do the trick! Have a great day!Cheap Web Hosting Providers 40ft shipping container australia

    ReplyDelete