Sunday, November 11, 2018

The Haunting of Hill House - Netflix TV Series

I read the novel, The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson, back in October 2016. I liked the novel, but didn't love it. 

Nonetheless, when I discovered that Netflix had created a television series based on the The Haunting of Hill House, my husband and I decided to watched the series... Especially, since we'd heard great things about the series from other people who have watched the series!

Let me state upfront for the record, that the Netflix series, 'The Haunting of Hill House', is nothing like the novel it is based on. So, if you've read the novel and have yet to watch the Netflix series, you've been forewarned that the series doesn't follow the novel's plot.

With that said, we did enjoy watching season one of 'The Haunting of Hill House' on Netflix. The actors do a fabulous job in this series. I loved the cinematography for this series as well as the special effects. Plus, the storyline was well done even if it didn't follow the novel.

I've heard there is season two in the works for 'The Haunting of Hill House', which I find difficult to imagine. I felt like the ten episodes wrapped up the storyline pretty nicely. So, I can't imagine where they could possibly go for season two and beyond without the series becoming unrealistic. In other words, I feel like everything that needed to be said in Netflix's series, 'The Haunting of Hill House' was said during season one... Nothing else needed to be added. Leave the storyline be and move on.

For those of you who have read then novel, The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson, and seen the Netflix series, 'The Haunting of Hill House', what are your thoughts about both the novel and the series?

6 comments:

  1. I've been hearing such great things about the Netflix series; it's definitely going on my watchlist! Normally, I'm not one for scary movies or shows but this seems really interesting and I'm glad that you thought it was worth a watch. I didn't even know there was a book until I read your post (what kind of bookworm does that make me??) but I think I'll skip that one.

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the Netflix series, The Haunting of Hill House, when you watch it.

      Delete
  2. The novel was not my favorite of Shirley Jackson's. I am a bit put off by knowing the series doesn't follow the story. But everyone I have heard from about it, now including you, says it is excellent. I will watch it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really put off that the series didn't follow the novel at first as well... But eventually tried and succeeded in liking the series on its own merits.

      Delete
  3. Good to know they took creative liberties with the story, particularly since you say you didn't love the original source material. I'll put it on my watch list. There is an upcoming movie adaptation this year of We Have Always Lived in the Castle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize they were coming out with a movie adaptation of We Have Always Lived in the Castle. I've yet to read this novel by Shirley Jackson, but have heard it is better than 'The Haunting of Hill House'.

      Delete