Monday, November 12, 2018

Patti Smith at the Minetta Lane by Patti Smith


I'm only very, very vaguely familiar with Patti Smith's life as a singer-songwriter, poet, and visual artist... I can only name one song that she has sung. I'm also familiar with her memoir, Just Kids by Patti Smith, by title only as I've never read her memoir. I've recently learned learned that her memoir won the National Book Award in 2010 for nonfiction.

With that said, I decided to listen to Patti Smith at the Minetta Lane by Patti Smith, which is a live audio performance of Patti Smith at the Minetta Lane Theatre in Greenwich Village in New York. I felt like this was my opportunity to learn more about Patti Smith through her singing intermixed with her stories. I am glad that I took the time to listen and discover more about Patti Smith's life through stories she shared and hear her sing, but ultimately I wasn't wowed by what I heard. I just thought the entire program presented in Patti Smith at the Minetta Lane was okay. I think if you are a Patti Smith fan, you'd probably love Patti Smith at the Minetta Lane.

As an Audible member, I was able to download Patti Smith at the Minetta Lane by Patti Smith for FREE this month. The above paragraph expresses my honest and biased opinion of Patti Smith at the Minetta Lane by Patti Smith.

Listening time for Patti Smith at the Minetta Lane by Patti Smith is 1 hour, 23 minutes.

The following is more about Patti Smith at the Minetta Lane by Patti Smith from Audible:
Patti Smith at the Minetta Lane features live audio of performances captured over three evenings in September of 2018 at the Minetta Lane Theatre in Manhattan’s Greenwich Village, woven into a single, one-of-a-kind audio event. Pioneering artist and writer Patti Smith commands the stage to perform original spoken-word stories from her life, interwoven with the music of her beloved catalogue, played live by Smith, her son and daughter–Jackson and Jesse Paris Smith–and longtime collaborator Tony Shanahan. What transpires is a personally revelatory showcase, an intimate portrait of an icon, focusing on family and taking stock of a near to 50-year career devoted to artistic integrity.
I am giving Patti Smith at the Minetta Lane a rating of 2 stars out of 5 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!!

2 comments:

  1. As you know, I was a performing songwriter earlier in my life. I love music in almost all its forms. For singers my criterion is THE VOICE. Patti Smith never made it for me in that department. Her singing is rough and very personally hers but not to my taste. I do however admire her immensely and Just Kids is one of the best memoirs I have read. My review: https://keepthewisdom.blogspot.com/2010/12/just-kids.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I look forward to reading your review of Just Kids.

      Delete