Thursday, September 11, 2014

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman



I've never actually read anything by Neil Gaiman before, but it seems like he is a very popular author. So, when I came across the BBC Radio Full-Cast Dramatization of Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman on Audible for a $1.95, I decided to purchase a copy of it right then and there. 

I usually don't listen to radio dramatizations of books. Normally, I prefer to read the book itself or listen to the unabridged audio version of a book instead. So, listening to the BBC Radio Full-Cast Dramatization of Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman made for a unique listening experience. 

I thought the BBC Radio Full-Cast Dramatization of Neverwhere was really well done. I enjoyed listening to an all star cast bring this book to life. One of the best features was listening to  the bloopers and extended scenes at the end of the production. I also enjoyed listening to the special effects.

As much as I enjoyed, listening to the radio dramatization of Neverwhere, I found it difficult to get into the rhythm and flow of the plot/storyline. I also feel that I would have probably enjoyed reading the novel or listening to the unabridged version of Neverwhere more than listening to the radio dramatization.

Publisher's summary as follows:
A BBC Radio six-part adaptation of Neil Gaiman's best-selling novel, starring James McAvoy as Richard and Natalie Dormer as Door. 
Beneath the streets of London there is another London. A subterranean labyrinth of sewers and abandoned tube stations. A somewhere that is Neverwhere....
An act of kindness sees Richard Mayhew catapulted from his ordinary life into the strange world of London Below. There he meets the Earl of Earl's Court, faces a life-threatening ordeal at the hands of the Black Friars, comes face to face with the Great Beast of London, and encounters an Angel called Islington.
Adapted for radio by the award-winning Dirk Maggs, this captivating dramatisation features a stellar cast including David Harewood, Sophie Okonedo, Benedict Cumberbatch, Christopher Lee, Anthony Head and David Schofield.
Contains over 25 minutes of additional unbroadcast material, including extended scenes, bloopers and outtakes.

Playing time for the BBC Radio Full-Cast Dramatization of Neverwhere is approximately 3 hours, 48 minutes.

I am giving Neverwhere a rating of 6.5 stars out of 10 stars. Until my next post, happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment