Friday, January 31, 2014

War Horse by Michael Morpurgo

I read War Horse by Michael Morpurgo. If you haven't read War Horse or seen the movie version yet of this novel, let me give some background. War Horse is a children's book first published in 1982 in Great Britain.

Book description of War Horse from the back cover:

It is 1914, and Joey, a farm horse, is sold to the army and thrust into the midst of World War I on the Western Front. When Joey is dragged away, his heart aches for Albert, the farmer's son he is forced to leave behind. In the army the beautiful red-bay horse is trained to charge the enemy, drag heavy artillery, and carry wounded soldiers not much older than Albert off the battlefields. Amongst the clamoring of guns, and while plodding through the cold mud, Joey wonders if the war will ever end. And if it does, will he ever find Albert again?
I enjoyed that War Horse was told through the eyes of a horse, instead of through a human being. I'm also glad this was a children's novel and not one written for adults, as novels written for adults are more graphic in nature when it comes to the nitty gritty details of the horrors and atrocities of war. So, the ravages of war are spoken about in War Horse, but in much more muted tons.

I liked the storyline of War Horse, the characters in this novel and of course the happy ending too!
 
I enjoyed reading War Horse. I am giving it a rating of 7 stars out of 10 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment