Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The Secret Life of Houdini: The Making of America's First Superhero by William Kalush & Larry Sloman

I finished listening to the abridged audio version of The Secret Life of Houdini: The Making of America's First Superhero by William Kalush & Larry Sloman yesterday.

Over the years, I've heard a few details about Harry Houdini's life and career, but I readily admit that I really didn't know much about the man behind the legend beyond the very basics.

Let me start by stating that I'm not a huge Harry Houdini fan... Sure, I like magic and good showmanship, but I've never been all that curious in learning more about Houdini's life until reading a few reviews written by fellow Bookcrossers about the above biography of Houdini... I'm glad I chose to listening to 'The Secret Life of Houdini'. It's filled with a lot of information about Houdini's life, rise to fame and fortune, his famous showmanship, his final days and so much more.

I learned through listening to 'The Secret Life of Houdini' that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was an ardent follower/believer of Spiritualism and that Doyle and Houdini knew each other. I was surprised to learn of Houdini's years spent debunking mediums among other things.

I'm glad that I listened to the abridged version of 'The Secret Life of Houdini: The Making of America's First Superhero' by William Kalush & Larry Sloman because I'm not sure I'd want to read a 600+ page book about Houdini's life. The audio abridgement was nicely done. My only complaint about the audio version was listening to the narrator, Adam Grupper, as I found him to be a boring, monotonous dramatic reader and I found myself tuning out every so often. Otherwise, I enjoyed listening to 'The Secret Life of Houdini: The Making of America's First Superhero' by William Kalush & Larry Sloman.

Until my next post, happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment