Thursday, January 3, 2013

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

I first read The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros almost twenty years ago now for a college course titled Women in Literature. 

I didn't remember much about my first experience reading The House on Mango Street, other than it was a short, quick read about a young girl growing up as a 'Latina American' in Chicago. 


The House on Mango Street is a 110 page novella told through a series of short vignettes. It is a 'coming of age' story for the lead character, Esperanza Cordero, a Latina American girl growing up in Chicago.

On December 30th, I finished reading The House on Mango Street for the second time around. I enjoyed reading this novella more the second time around then I did in college. Maybe this was because I've had more time to reflect on the story itself or maybe because the storyline and characters are still fresh in my mind's eye. Whatever the case may be, I really enjoyed the way in which the story was presented. The vignettes provided wonderful snapshots and insight to Esperanza Cordero's everyday life and the Latino American experience in general.

The House on Mango Street is one of several books selected for 2013 US World Book Night. I've recently applied to be a 2013 US World Book Night book giver and have chosen The House on Mango Street as the book I'd most like to pass out within my community. I hope I'm selected to be a book giver this year as I enjoyed being a book giver for World Book Night last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment