Friday, January 25, 2013

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein is the first novel I've read in 2013. This novel had been waiting 'to be read' by yours truly since September 19, 2012.

I'd heard wonderful things about The Art of Racing in the Rain from other readers on Bookcrossing, which is how I came to purchase a used paperback copy of this novel for a dollar at our local Friends of the Library Used Bookstore in Carpinteria, California.

Interestingly enough though, as much as I wanted to read The Art of Racing in the Rain, it hadn't even been in my top ten of books to read this year. It wasn't until I decided to taken part in a dog themed book exchange, that I realized one of the few dog themed books I had on hand, was The Art of Racing in the Rain. So, I quickly read The Art of Racing in the Rain. I loved reading every page of it! 

It's going to be difficult to top this novel as my favorite read of 2013 as it really knocked my socks off. I never could have imagined how much I was going to love this book and what a lasting impact it would have on me.

What appealed to me about The Art of Racing in the Rain, aside from glowing reviews I'd heard about this novel, was that it is written from a dog's perspective, which I found intriguing. I am an avid dog lover and am the proud human parent to two very adorable dogs who bring so much joy to my life. 

Aside from the glowing reviews of The Art of Racing in the Rain and that it's from the point of view of the family dog, the message contained within its pages leaves you with a wonderful message of love, family, loyalty and triumph over adversity & perseverance.

I admit that I cried on many occasions while reading this novel. The last paragraph of chapter 26 left me crying and so did the entire 58th chapter was also particularly difficult for me to read as I knew Enzo's (the dog) life was coming to an end. 

Some of my favorite quotes from The Art of Racing in the Rain are as follows:
 

"[T]hat which we manifest is before us; we are the creators of our own destiny. Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves." page 43
 

"The true hero is flawed. The true test of a champion is not whether he can triumph, but whether he can overcome obstacles - preferably of his own making - in order to triumph." page 135 

I enjoyed many of the of the scenes in this book. Like the ones with the zebra and its symbolism. Or the documentary Enzo watches and learns that the Mongolians believe that the next incarnation for a dogs is man.

So, which books have made a lasting impression on you recently?

Until my next post, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment