Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Pig That Wants to Be Eaten: 100 Experiments for the Armchair Philosopher

Every so often, I enjoy reading nonfiction books that fall into the philosophy genre. I recently finished reading The Pig That Wants to Be Eaten: 100 Experiments for the Armchair Philosopher by Julian Baggini

I actually purchased The Pig That Wants to Be Eaten: 100 Experiments for the Armchair Philosopher based on the glowing recommendation I'd received from a sales associate at an independent bookstore. The title alone was intriguing enough for me to want to purchase and read this book, but the sales associate's review sealed the deal for me.

Yes, The Pig That Wants to Be Eaten: 100 Experiments for the Armchair Philosopher contains 100 Experiments for the Armchair Philosopher to ponder. BUT each experiment is only three pages in length. You're given a brief overview/synopsis of each experiment followed by a brief discussion of the experiment. I would have enjoyed this book a lot more if the author had chosen to focus on 25 experiments instead of 100 and wrote in more detail about each one rather than skimming the surface of each experiment.

Besides, I found that many of the topics in The Pig That Wants to Be Eaten: 100 Experiments for the Armchair Philosopher overlapped. This seemed to make some of the topics discussed appear redundant. Perhaps focusing on less topics/experiments would have been a better idea. 

Overall, I felt that The Pig That Wants to Be Eaten: 100 Experiments for the Armchair Philosopher was a good book

No comments:

Post a Comment