Wednesday, June 22, 2016

The Witches by Roald Dahl & Illustrated by Quentin Blake

Paperback Edition
I've wanted to read The Witches by Roald Dahl for quite sometime as I enjoyed reading BFG and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in the past. So, choosing to read The Witches by Roald Dahl was an easy choice for me to make... You can't go wrong with a Roald Dahl novel and The Witches didn't disappoint!

The Witches by Roald Dahl was published in 1983 and it also won the The Whitbread Children's Book of the Year in 1983.

I also learned that The Witches by Roald Dahl has been a banned book. I learned from Wikipedia that The Witches by Roald Dahl "was banned by some libraries due to perceived misogyny.[2] It appears on the American Library Association list of the 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 1990 to 1999, at number 22.[3] Some critics consider the book sexist,[4] with one stating that the book is how boys learn to become men who hate women.[5] "

I also recently read a fabulous article about The Witches by Roald Dahl on Bustle titled 7 Feminist Lessons From Roald Dahl's 'The Witches' by Caroline Kepnes. After reading the article by Caroline Kepnes about The Witches I knew I wanted to read this novel even more.

All I can say is that I am glad that I read The Witches by Roald Dahl. Roald Dahl is a master storyteller. I enjoyed the characters in The Witches immensely. I also enjoyed story development as well. I was left wanting to know where the story was going to take me and how things were going to turn out in the end.

The following is the plot summary for The Witches by Roald Dahl from Goodreads:
'A REAL WITCH is easily the most dangerous of all the living creatures on earth.' 
That's a pretty horrifying thought. More horrifying still is that real witches don't even look like witches. They don't ride around on broomsticks. They don't even wear black cloaks and hats. They are vile, despicable, scheming harridans who disguise themselves as nice, ordinary ladies. 
So how can you tell when you're face to face with one? Read this story and you'll find out all you need to know. You'll also meet a real hero, a wise old grandmother and the most gruesome, grotesque gang of witches imaginable.
I am giving The Witches by Roald Dahl a rating of 4 stars out of 5 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment