Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Sex Criminals, Volume 1: One Weird Trick by Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky

I've been slowly exploring more manga, comics, and graphic novels here and there in the past couple of years. 

I'd read a lot of good things about the Sex Criminals comic book series by Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky and liked the premise of the series, so decided to read the first volume in the series titled Sex Criminals, Volume 1: One Weird Trick by Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky.

Sadly, I wasn't impressed with the first book in the Sex Criminals series and will not continue reading this series in the future. The hype/expectation of this comic book just didn't do it for me. The artwork contained within its pages was good, but not great in my opinion... And as I've already mentioned earlier in my post, the story's premise is good for Sex Criminals, Volume 1: One Weird Trick by Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky... Basically, you have two people who are able to stop time during sex and then decide on robbing banks. This is definitely unique concept for a book, but the flow of the story didn't translate very well for me. I felt it could have been a lot better.

Below is the plot summary for Sex Criminals, Volume 1: One Weird Trick by Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky from Goodreads:
Suzie’s just a regular gal with an irregular gift: when she has sex, she stops time. One day she meets Jon and it turns out he has the same ability. And sooner or later they get around to using their gifts to do what we’d ALL do: rob a couple banks. A bawdy and brazen sex comedy for comics begins here! 
By Matt Fraction (Satellite Sam, Hawkeye) and Chip Zdarsky (Prison Funnies, Monster Cops).

Named one of Time Magazine's top 10 graphic novels for 2013.
I am giving Sex Criminals, Volume 1: One Weird Trick by Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky a rating of 2 stars out of 5 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this series. Too bad it didn't live up to your expectations.
    I too have been trying to add more graphic novels/comic books/mangas in my reading. I bought a few of these when I was at the Festival. I hope your next picture read is better than this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope the next manga or graphic novel I read is much better too. Happy reading to you!

      Delete