Friday, August 15, 2014

The Island of Doctor Moreau by H. G. Wells

I've never read anything by H. G. Wells before, but am familiar with many of his works due to popular culture and Hollywood movies. I've actually seen a movie version of The Island of Doctor Moreau many years ago, so I recently decided to download and listen to the unabridged audio version of The Island of Doctor Moreau by H. G. Wells and narrated by Alan Munro from Audible. Playing time for this audiobook is approximately 5 hours, 25 minutes in length.

The following is the publisher's summary, which I found on Audible:
A shipwrecked man rescued by a passing boat is left on the island home of Doctor Moreau, who creates sentient beings from animals via vivisection. The novel deals with a number of philosophical themes, including pain and cruelty, moral responsibility, human identity, and human interference with nature. H.G. Wells at his best.

I enjoyed listening to  The Island of Doctor Moreau. It was really well read by Alan Munro. 

The various themes brought into play during this novel really had me thinking about the human identity, what it means to be human and human interference with nature... Along with moral responsibility and cruelty and pain. I think that The Island of Doctor Moreau is just as relevant today as when it was published in 1896.

I also enjoyed that The Island of Doctor Moreau was told through the eyes of Edward Prendick, who is rescued at sea and then left on the island. His narration of the story is awesome. I think it was better to hear the story from his unbiased vantage point that to hear it from Dr. Moreau or his creations.

I'm giving The Island of Doctor Moreau a rating of 8 out of 10 stars. Until my next post, happy reading!!

2 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to read this book for a long time now! I am glad you enjoyed it. I have been wanting to read an HG Wells book but just haven't made the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll really like this book!! It's really good. :-)

      Delete