Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Loser by Jerry Spinelli

I've been a huge fan of Jerry Spinelli's novels/writing ever since reading 'Stargirl' in 2010. I was introduced to Spinelli's writing from a former college professor of mine and am glad I was because I've been a fan ever since.

Last weekend, I finished reading Loser by Jerry Spinelli and loved this novel!! Loser is the seventh novel written by Jerry Spinelli that I've read to date and it's a fabulous novel to read and savor!! The writing by Spinelli is phenomenal for Loser. I loved the main character of Donald Zinkoff!!! Donald Zinkoff is such a fun, lovable character... I love Zinkoff's attitude and wonderful spirit. Spinelli always creates unique and interesting main characters for each of his novels that makes it fun to read them... So, I'm happy that I discovered the character of Donald Zinkoff. Sure Zinkoff is portrayed as a loser, but he doesn't realize he's a loser. In fact, I'm not even sure I consider him a loser because of his wonderful spirit towards life. He just keeps on loving life and doing his own thing.


Here's an overview of Loser from Barnes and Noble's website:
Just like other kids, Zinkoff rides his bike, hopes for snow days, and wants to be like his dad when he grows up. But Zinkoff also raises his hand with all the wrong answers, trips over his own feet, and falls down with laughter over a word like "Jabip." 
Other kids have their own word to describe him, but Zinkoff is too busy to hear it. He doesn't know he's not like everyone else. And one winter night, Zinkoff's differences show that any name can someday become "hero."
Even though his classmates from first grade on have considered him strange and a loser, Donald Zinkoff's optimism and exuberance and the support of his loving family do not allow him to feel that way about himself.
 I'm rating Loser 9 stars out of 10 stars!! Until my next post, happy reading!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment