Thursday, August 14, 2014

My Soul to Lose by Rachel Vincent

I listened to the unabridged audio version of My Soul to Lose by Rachel Vincent and read by Amanda Ronconi, which can be downloaded from Audible. My Soul to Lose is an hour and forty-eight minutes in length.

I thought that Amanda Ronconi did a fabulous job of reading My Soul to Lose. As far as the storyline, plot and character development goes for My Soul to Lose, I have mixed feelings about these three elements. 

I enjoyed the characters and the storyline for the most part, but there were some details that I didn't like... For instance, My Soul to Lose starts off with the lead character, Kaylee, and her best friend shopping at the mall plotting revenge on the boy who dumped Kaylee. 

Then the story veers off in a new direction and Kaylee ends up in the psych unit. As a reader, you think My Soul to Lose is going to be about teenage angst over a boy. Instead, the plot veers off into an entirely new direction. 

The ending of My Soul to Lose is decent. However, we never do learn if Kaylee's best friend follows through with their plans of revenge... A detail that would have been interesting to learn.

The following is the publisher's summary for My Soul to Lose from Audible:
It was supposed to be a fun day, shopping at the mall with her best friend. Then the panic attack started and Kaylee Cavanaugh finds herself screaming, unable to stop. Her secret fears are exposed, and it's the worst day of her life....Until she wakes up in the psychiatric unit. 
She tries to convince everyone she's fine - despite the shadows she sees forming around another patient and the urge to scream that comes burbling up again and again. 
Everyone thinks she's crazy. Everyone except Lydia, that is. Another patient with some special abilities....
I'm giving My Soul to Lose a rating of 6.0 stars out of 10 stars.  Until my next post happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment