Monday, August 18, 2014

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

I listened to the unabridged audio version of Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote and narrated by Michael C. Hall today. The length of this novella is approximately 2 hours, 52 minutes.

I've wanted to read Breakfast at Tiffany's for years now. I recently acquired a copy of Breakfast at Tiffany's through Audible for $1.95 as part of one of their 'Daily Deals'. So, I couldn't wait to listen to the audio version for Bout of Books 11.0 Read-A-Thon.

I thought that Michael C. Hall did a terrific job narrating Breakfast at Tiffany's. But as far as Breakfast at Tiffany's is concerned, I'm not sure what to make of it. It's a lot darker in nature than what I expected/anticipated it to be. 

Truman Capote's writing is interesting and so are the characters he created for Breakfast at Tiffany's. But I just didn't find myself loving Breakfast at Tiffany's all that much. I guess it didn't live up to the hype for me or at the very least, it didn't live up to my expectations of what I thought it was going to be like. 

It's not that I disliked Breakfast at Tiffany's. It just didn't do anything for me. I feel like I could have gone through life without ever having read this novella.

Here's the publisher's summary of Breakfast at Tiffany's from Audible:
Golden Globe-winning actor Michael C. Hall (Dexter, Six Feet Under) performs Truman Capote's provocative, naturalistic masterstroke about a young writer's charmed fascination with his unorthodox neighbor, the "American geisha" Holly Golightly. Holly - a World War II-era society girl in her late teens - survives via socialization, attending parties and restaurants with men from the wealthy upper class who also provide her with money and expensive gifts. Over the course of the novella, the seemingly shallow Holly slowly opens up to the curious protagonist, who eventually gets tossed away as her deepening character emerges.

Breakfast at Tiffany's, Truman Capote's most beloved work of fiction, introduced an independent and complex character who challenged audiences, revived Audrey Hepburn's flagging career in the 1961 film version, and whose name and style has remained in the national idiom since publication. Hall uses his diligent attention to character to bring our unnamed narrator’s emotional vulnerability to the forefront of this American classic.

I'm giving Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote a rating of 6 stars out of 10 stars. 

I have a copy of Truman Capote's book In Cold Blood, but am now unsure if I want to read it after reading Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Until my next post, happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment