Thursday, August 28, 2014

The Son By Philipp Meyer

Last week, I listened to the unabridged audio version of The Son by Philipp Meyer. I purchased a copy of The Son by Philipp Meyer as it was a book club selection for a local book group I've joined. 

Quite frankly, I'd never heard of Philipp Meyer before until he was chosen for the book group. The Son is a novel that I wouldn't normally go out of my way to select as a book to read or listen to as I'm not that much into historical novels set in the Southwest... In this case, The Son primarily takes place in the US State of Texas. Nor, do I usually read novels with multiple narrators from different time periods either... However, in an effort to expand my reading horizons, I decided to go ahead and listen to the unabridged audio version of this novel. 

After listening to The Son, I can't say as I was profoundly moved by the story. I didn't love or hate this novel. I simply can't help but think that I'll forget the details of it in the very near future. 

The most interesting characters in The Son were J. A. McCullough and Eli McCullough, but the other main characters weren't all that interesting. 

Total playing time for this unabridged novel is approximately 18.5 hours. 

I found it interesting to learn that The Son had been nominated for the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. I personally wasn't enamored enough with this novel to ever fathom that it would be nominated for such a prestigious prize as the Pulitzer Prize. 

Below is an interview of author, Philipp Meyer, talking about The Son. It's about the 'American Creation Myth'. Hmmm, interesting concept for a novel... But I didn't ever think that was the message the author was trying to convey in The Son.


2 comments:

  1. We had similar reactions to this novel. I think it got the Pulitzer nom because they like "great American novels" of which this could have been one. In fact, I think that was what the author meant to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment as usual!!

      Delete