Wednesday, February 17, 2021

March (Trilogy Slipcase Edition) by John Lewis

I read March (Trilogy Slipcase Edition) by John Lewis during Black History Month this year. I've had the March trilogy in my 'to be read' pile for quite a while now. So I was thrilled to finally read all three books in the March trilogy as learning more about the life of Civil Rights legend and activist, John Lewis, is a must for anyone wanting to learn more about the Civil Rights Movement in general. 

By reading the March trilogy, I learned a lot about the Civil Rights Movement with regards to many of the major events. Additionally, I enjoyed reading about many of the major movers and shakers and organizations that helped propel the Civil Rights Movement forward, which eventually lead to the successful passing of both the 1964 Civil Rights Act and 1965 Voting Rights Act. 

Of course, a large focus of the March trilogy was on the early life and the instrumental role John Lewis played during the Civil Rights Movement, which I found fascinating... And of course, two of the major topics discussed in the March trilogy were the march over the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Alabama (also known as Bloody Sunday) and the march from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama.

I highly recommend reading the March (Trilogy Slipcase Edition) by John Lewis. I also loved the artwork by Nate Powell for all three March books!!

Below is a summary for March (Trilogy Slipcase Edition) by John Lewis from Amazon:
Winner of the National Book Award for Young People's Literature.

Discover the inside story of the Civil Rights Movement through the eyes of one of its most iconic figures, Congressman John Lewis. March is the award-winning, #1 bestselling graphic novel trilogy recounting his life in the movement, co-written with Andrew Aydin and drawn by Nate Powell. This commemorative set contains all three volumes of March in a beautiful slipcase.

#1 New York Times and Washington Post Bestseller
First graphic novel to receive a Robert F. Kennedy Book Award
Winner of the Eisner Award
A Coretta Scott King Honor Book
One of YALSA's Outstanding Books for the College Bound
One of Reader's Digest's Graphic Novels Every Grown-Up Should Read

I am giving March (Trilogy Slipcase Edition) by John Lewis a rating of 4.5 stars out of 5 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!! 

P. S. One of my reading goals for 2021 is to read five trilogies... One trilogy down, four more trilogies left to read!

12 comments:

  1. These are indeed great books. I like your trilogy reading goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Deciding to read five trilogies seemed like a good goal this year as I have several of them in my collection waiting to be read.

      Delete
  2. This does sound like a must read book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll enjoy reading all three books in this trilogy.

      Delete
  3. These sound like an important read! I always like when I make my reading goals. I hoping you can read those other trilogies you want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm still trying to decide which trilogy to read next as I have too many good choices.

      Delete
  4. John Lewis was such a hero and an inspiration to so many of us. I haven't read these books but I commend you for doing so. They are important records of the Civil Rights Movement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, John Lewis is certainly an inspiration and a hero. I am glad that he shared his role/take on such important events in American history.

      Delete
  5. Ooh! I like the idea of a graphic novel! I'll have to look into this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really enjoyed reading more graphic novels over the past few years.

      Delete
    2. Me too. I am not much a nonfiction reader (I do like memoirs) so getting valuable information through graphic novels has been a plus for me.

      Btw, I just borrowed from my digital library the first book of the March series. :)

      Delete
    3. Enjoy reading the 1st book in the March series!

      Delete