Thursday, February 4, 2021

Octavia E. Butler - Essential Reading List

I came across a New York Times article online titled, The Essential Octavia Butler by Stephen Kearse. In the article, Stephen Kearse wrote the following:
Octavia Butler walked a singular path. A writer from her poverty-stricken childhood to her death in 2006 at the age of 58, she committed her life to turning speculative fiction into a home for Black expression. In her hands, the genre felt capacious and infinite. “I wrote myself in,” she told The New York Times in 2000.

Her ink was permanent. Weathering rejections, dead-end jobs and her own persistent doubts, Butler rose to international prominence. She became the first science fiction author to be granted a MacArthur fellowship, and the first Black woman to win Hugo and Nebula awards. Today her influence spans literature, genres and media.

Click on the above link to read which of Butler's books made the list and why each book is recommended.

6 comments:

  1. I've just met Butler in the last couple of years and have read a few of her books. I hope to read many more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed reading Kindred and look forward to reading more of Butler's novels as well. Happy reading!

      Delete
  2. So interesting. I have one of her books on my TBR pile, "Kindred". Will have to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete