The Boy Next Door by Katie Van Ark falls into the Young Adult Romance Genre.
Below is my honest, unbiased review of The Boy Next Door by Katie Van Ark.
What I loved about The Boy Next Door by Katie Van Ark:
* I love young adult novels and romance novels, so this novel was a perfect blend of two genres I like.
* I love the entire ice skating theme of this novel and it plays a major part in this novel.
* I liked the main characters of Maddy & Gabe.
* I liked the short alternating chapters. Each chapter focusing on either Maddy's viewpoint or Gabe's viewpoint.
* Igor, the ice skating coach, was another favorite character.
* The tension/drama that happens in this novel between the main characters before the main characters finally come together and make their romance work.
* The life lessons learned by both Maddy & Gabe by the end of the novel make it worthwhile.
* The sweet ending of this novel.
What I didn't love about The Boy Next Door by Katie Van Ark:
* It takes too long for Gabe to figure out his feelings for Maddy.
* Just when you think Maddy & Gabe are good relationship wise, more drama ensues.
* It takes a tragedy to make them realize how they really feel about their relationship.
* The ending of this novel, although good, was too short.
The following is the plot summary for The Boy Next Door by Katie Van Ark from Amazon:
Family conflict, changing relationships, and questions of identity are at the heart of this engaging spin on the classic romance plotline.
Maddy Spier's been in love with the boy next door forever. As his figure skating partner, she spends time in his arms every day. But she's also seen his arms around other girls―lots of other girls. How can she make him realize that they can be partners off the ice as well?
Gabe's relationship with Maddy is vital. He can't imagine skating with anyone else, and together they have a real chance at greatness–maybe even making it to the Olympics someday. So he's decided to think of her as a sister. After all, family is forever, and he's never dated anyone for more than two weeks.
Then their coach assigns a new romantic skating program, and everything changes. Will this be the big break that Maddy's been hoping for or the big breakup that Gabe has always feared?
Chosen by readers like you for Macmillan's young adult imprint Swoon Reads, debut author Katie Van Ark’s novel The Boy Next Door is full of competition, misunderstandings, and of course, plenty of romance.I am giving The Boy Next Door by Katie Van Ark a rating of 3.5 stars out of 5 stars.
Until my next post, happy reading!!