Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday --- Top Twelve Books I'm Thankful For!



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list that one of our bloggers here at The Broke and the Bookish will answer. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND add your name to the Linky widget so that everyone can check out other bloggers lists! If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. Have fun with it! It's a fun way to get to know your fellow bloggers.

I'm so grateful for so many books that it has been difficult to narrow down which ones to add to my list this week! I've chosen to stick with nonfiction titles for this week's Top Ten Tuesday post. Click on the links provided below to read my review of each book.

1. Power of the Habit by Charles Duhigg ~ This is a very engaging read filled with tons of knowledge about the power of habits.

2. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo ~ Need to rid your life of clutter?? This book has some really good tips on how to dispose of your clutter for good and organize your life to become clutter free.

3. Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress Free Productivity by David Allen ~ Getting things done in a stress free manner is the theme of this book.

4. Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear by Elizabeth Gilbert ~ This book is pure magic. It's well written and engaging. I liked it so much more than I thought I would.

5. Mind Over Medicine by Lissa Rankin MD ~ Loved the outlook on medicine by a medical doctor.

6. The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating by Elisabeth Tova Bailey ~ During a time of illness, the author discovers the life of a wild snail and writes about it. Who knew that the lives of snails could be so interesting? Another book I enjoyed so much more than I though I would.

7. This Common Secret: My Journey as an Abortion Doctor by Susan Wicklund ~ Abortion is such a controversial topic. It was interesting to read about this topic from the view point of a doctor who had performed abortions for much of her career.

8. My Life On The Road by Gloria Steinem ~ I've admired Gloria Steinem for years. I loved her memoir, My Life On The Road. What an interesting life Gloria Steinem has lived so far.

9. Stoned: Jewelry, Obsession, and How Desire Shapes the World by Aja Raden ~ I love jewelry and this nonfiction read discusses how jewelry has shaped history. It's a very entertaining historical journey that takes the reader around the world.

10. The Assassination of the Archduke by Greg King & Sue Woolmans ~ This well written book is FABULOUS!! It's packed with so much history and information that my mind is still spinning... The assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand sets off World War I. This book touches upon royal history, the lives of Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife + their children. Along with a lot of history before and after Franz Ferdinand's assassination.

11. The Soloist by Steve Lopez ~ Another wonderful book! Not only is The Soloist a story about a lost dream, an unlikely friendship, and the redemptive power of music, it also sheds light on mental illness, homelessness on LA's Skid Row and the struggles that go along with it in ways I could have never envisioned before my encounter with The Soloist.

12. The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester ~ The history of the Oxford English Dictionary is fascinating. I really enjoyed this book immensely.

14 comments:

  1. Nice. I can see Mind Over Medicine as one I might enjoy, and same for The Assassination as I love a good history!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are all totally new to me ones! Glad you found so many! If I let myself I'm sure I could've made 12 too! Lol!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating this year as well. It was such an interesting story.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice list, very different!
    http://thebestbasicblogger.blogspot.com/2017/11/top-ten-tuesday-favorite-authors.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating sounds intriguing! I like your list this week :) Some good ones!
    My TTT
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great list! So different form others, but full of great books, thank you for sharing it with us!

    Marissa
    Reading List

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this list is one of the more unique! :-) I enjoyed looking at the books you mentioned even if I'm not that familiar with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool list! Yours is the only TTT post this week that I've seen so far that showcased some motivational/self-help types of books. I like picking those up on occasion, so I'm going to look some of these up on Goodreads and see if they're up my alley! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh such an interesting list of books that have changed things in our life in some way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of these are new for me so thanks for sharing, I'll be checking some of them out!
    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list!! Have a great week Happy Thamksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read mostly fiction, but I can only imagine that Gloria Steinem's memoire would be incredible, because she was such an interesting woman.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to read Gloria Steinem's book. The Professor and the Madman was a favorite of mine.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Despite her incredible success, I've never read any of Elizabeth Gilbert's books. Glad you enjoyed 'Magic.' That cover is also GORGEOUS! Love the chalk/watercolor/painted look; it blends so beautifully.

    Thanks so much for the visit to Finding Wonderland. :)

    ReplyDelete