Friday, March 9, 2012

Movies Based On Books...

As we all know, many movies that are released are based on published books. I've recently read Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay as well as seen the movie of the same name based on the book this past weekend. The book was an excellent read and the movie was decent, but definitely not as good as the book.

How do you feel about movies based on books? I often walk away with mixed feelings about a movie based on a book that I have read. In the majority of the cases, I always find the book is far superior than the movie. I feel as long as the movie captures the essence of a book and that the storyline isn't tweaked too much, then I think the movie based on a book is usually a good one in my opinion. What are your thoughts after watching a movie based on a book you've read?

Interestingly enough though, there is one, and only one, movie based on a book where I actually enjoyed the movie better than the book. That movie would be Eat, Pray, Love based on Elizabeth Gilbert's book of the same name. Anyone else find that they liked watching a movie better than reading the actual book it was based on?

I also thought that the movie version of Thomas Harris's novel Red Dragon was spot on and very well done... Off hand, I cannot remember feeling this way about any other movie based on a book. 

There are many movies based on books that I didn't like after watching them. I enjoyed reading the novel, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See, but I remember being disappointed with the movie version of this novel. The storyline was changed a bit in the movie and I felt some of the story's essence was lost in the movie version of this novel. Which movies, based on books you've read, have you been disappointed with after watching?

No comments:

Post a Comment