Monday, February 20, 2012

New Book Published About The FIAT Dynasty

I stumbled across an online book review published on the USA Today site entitled Book review: Tale of Fiat empire and the family behind it by Kerry Hannon that caught my attention. In Hannon's article I read about the new book entitled Mondo Agnelli: Fiat, Chrysler and The Power of a Dynasty by Jennifer Clark. Hannon writes:
The engine of author Jennifer Clark's narrative is the saga of the Agnelli family and how their tenacity and long-term investment vision have kept the Fiat brand on the road since it was founded by Giovanni Agnelli in 1899 as Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino, or FIAT.
For Clark, a former bureau chief for The Wall Street Journal, the story is first and foremost a smart insider take on how the Italian carmaker was able to win control of Chrysler and revive one of Detroit's Big Three automakers.

Normally, I could care less about reading anything regarding cars. The only exception to this rule has been when I'm on the market to buy a car and want to read any information pertinent in helping me make a smart choice in my buying decision.... But, buying a new car isn't something I do very often and I'm not currently on the market for a new car now. 

So, why has this book caught my attention? Two reasons really:

1) When I was a youngster, my mom bought a brand new 1979 FIAT 2000 convertible in the baby blue color with tan leather interior. I remember thinking the car was cute and hip at the time. 

The only major drawback was that the FIAT 2000 my mom owned was unreliable and broke down frequently. The FIAT brand has had a bad rap in the past due to unreliability issues, earning FIAT the dubious acronym of "Fix It Again Tony". 

2) I've often wondered if the FIAT models on the market today are more reliable than of those in the past? This is due in part because I think the new 2012 FIAT 500 is so adorable!

It would also be interesting to read how FIAT has helped to bail out  Chrysler. So, yes, I think Jennifer Clark's new book, Mondo Agnelli: Fiat, Chrysler and The Power of a Dynasty, would make good reading material. Will I rush out and purchase a copy? Not at this time as the book seems kind of pricey and besides, I currently have way too much to read as it is. Perhaps I can find a copy of Mondo Agnelli: Fiat, Chrysler and The Power of a Dynasty at the public library at some point.

P.S. I found the following YouTube video where Jennifer Clark, the author of Mondo Agnelli: Fiat, Chrysler and The Power of a Dynasty, talks about her book. Great video clip.


No comments:

Post a Comment