I loved finding this Little Free Library in Santa Barbara with my husband on our way to the Santa Barbara Mission. It is a very cute LFL and offered quite a few book choices.
We visited the Santa Barbara Mission afterward, which wasn't our first visit. The Santa Barbara Mission is beautiful and is known as the 'Queen of the California Missions'.
There is a book tie in to the Santa Barbara Mission! Did you know this? The Island of the Blue Dolphin by Scott O'Dell is the novel I'm specifically talking about.
Below is information I discovered while searching Google:
The Lone Woman of San Nicolas Island—the real-life inspiration for Karana in Island of the Blue Dolphins—was brought to the Old Mission Santa Barbara in 1853 after living in isolation for 18 years. She passed away from dysentery just seven weeks after her rescue and “was buried in an unmarked grave on the Nidever family plot at the Santa Barbara Mission cemetery.” “There is a plaque at the east end of the mission cemetery that commemorates her. It was dedicated in 1928, by the Daughters of the American Revolution.”
Below is a photo I took with my camera phone of the plaque which commemorates the lone woman from San Nicolas Island.
I've also included three other photos taken inside the Santa Barbara Mission Church.
I hope you enjoyed my post! Have you visited any Little Free Libraries lately?





This is so interesting, Lisa. Thank you for telling us about that plaque. And thanks for mentioning this on my post about islands:
ReplyDeletehttps://momobookblog.blogspot.com/2026/09/six-degrees-of-separation-shutter-island.html
Glad you found this post interesting! What a coincidence that we both posted something about The Island of the Blue Dolphin at almost the same time!!
DeleteWell, as I always say: Twins separated at birth. It's scary sometimes.
DeleteLol, true enough.
DeleteLittle Free Libraries are such a wonderful idea. It's one that I hope catches on in other places. And thank you for the pictures of that lovely church.
ReplyDeleteGlad you enjoyed the photos, Dorothy!
DeleteI had no idea Island of the BLue Dolphins was based on something!
ReplyDeleteIt's kind of cool that it is based on a real life.
DeleteI am sure it was mentioned in my edition when I first read it.
Delete