Saturday, April 16, 2016

Mom & Me & Mom by Maya Angelou

I've been a huge fan of Maya Angelou for decades now. I have had the great honor of having seen Maya Angelou speak twice before a live audience... She was a phenomenal speaker!!

I recently read the hardback edition of Mom & Me & Mom by Maya Angelou. This book captured my interested due to the unique relationship between mothers and daughters and also because, I wanted to learn more about the relationship Maya Angelou had with her mother.

I thought Mom & Me & Mom by Maya Angelou was overall a good read and would recommend this book to others. My only major complaint is that many of the life events that Maya Angelou discusses in this particular book have also been discussed in her other books. So, I only learned a few new things about her life that I didn't know before, which was disappointing to me as I wasn't expecting so much of Mom & Me & Mom to be a rehash of what I'd already read in her other books.


The following book synopsis for Mom & Me & Mom by Maya Angelou comes from GoodReads:
The story of Maya Angelou’s extraordinary life has been chronicled in her multiple bestselling autobiographies. But now, at last, the legendary author shares the deepest personal story of her life: her relationship with her mother.
For the first time, Angelou reveals the triumphs and struggles of being the daughter of Vivian Baxter, an indomitable spirit whose petite size belied her larger-than-life presence—a presence absent during much of Angelou’s early life. When her marriage began to crumble, Vivian famously sent three-year-old Maya and her older brother away from their California home to live with their grandmother in Stamps, Arkansas. The subsequent feelings of abandonment stayed with Angelou for years, but their reunion, a decade later, began a story that has never before been told. In Mom & Me & Mom, Angelou dramatizes her years reconciling with the mother she preferred to simply call “Lady,” revealing the profound moments that shifted the balance of love and respect between them.
Delving into one of her life’s most rich, rewarding, and fraught relationships, Mom & Me & Mom explores the healing and love that evolved between the two women over the course of their lives, the love that fostered Maya Angelou’s rise from immeasurable depths to reach impossible heights.
I am giving Mom & Me & Mom by Maya Angelou a rating of 3 stars out of 5 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment