Saturday, June 22, 2024

Orbiting Jupiter by Gary D. Schmidt


I read the paperback edition of Orbiting Jupiter by Gary D. Schmidt. This is the third novel I've read and reviewed by Gary D. Schmidt in recent years. 

Orbiting Jupiter by Gary D. Schmidt falls into the children's/young adult genres. I find Gary D. Schmidt to be a terrific writer and love his storytelling, attention to plot details, and character development in the novels he writes.

Although, I enjoyed reading Orbiting Jupiter, I didn't love it as much as I did reading Schmidt's novels, The Wednesday Wars and Just Like That. Essentially, I felt like Orbiting Jupiter lacked the depth and detail I became use to while reading the two previous novels I'd read written by the author. Perhaps, Orbiting Jupiter didn't have the depth or detail because it was written for a younger audience? 

However, I did like the characters and storyline for Orbiting Jupiter. And, as usual, Gary D. Schmidt instills wonderful messages within his novels... In this case, second chances, not judging a book by its cover, the importance of always having someone's back, and strong family ties.

Below is the publisher's summary for Orbiting Jupiter by Gary D. Schmidt I found on Amazon's website:
In this riveting novel, two boys discover the true meaning of family and the sacrifices it requires.

Two-time Newbery Honor winner Gary D. Schmidt delivers the shattering story of Joseph, a father at thirteen, who has never seen his daughter, Jupiter.

After spending time in a juvenile facility, he’s placed with a foster family on a farm in rural Maine. Here Joseph, damaged and withdrawn, meets twelve-year-old Jack, who narrates the account of the troubled, passionate teen who wants to find his baby at any cost.

When Jack meets his new foster brother, he knows three things about him:Joseph almost killed a teacher.
He was incarcerated at a place called Stone Mountain.
He has a daughter. Her name is Jupiter. And he has never seen her.

What Jack doesn't know, at first, is how desperate Joseph is to find his baby girl. Or how urgently he, Jack, will want to help.

But the past can't be shaken off. Even as new bonds form, old wounds reopen. The search for Jupiter demands more from Jack than he can imagine.

This tender, heartbreaking novel is Gary D. Schmidt at his best. He is the author of the Printz Honor and Newbery Honor Book Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy; Okay for Now, a National Book Award finalist; and The Wednesday Wars, a Newbery Honor Book, among his many acclaimed novels for young readers.

I am giving Orbiting Jupiter by Gary D. Schmidt a rating of 3 stars out of 5 stars.

Untill my next post, happy reading!!

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed his book The Wednesday Wars, but I haven't read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to read the follow novel, Okay, For Now, sometime later this year!

      Delete