Thursday, June 27, 2024

Humming Heroes: Inside The Nose That Almost Nobody Knows by John McMillan and Philip McMillan

 


I first learned about Humming Heroes: Inside The Nose That Almost Nobody Knows by John McMillan and Dr. Philip McMillan by periodically watching Dr. Philip McMillan's YouTube Channel, Vejon Health. It was by watching the Vejon Health channel on YouTube that I discovered Humming Heroes was a Kickstarter project. I am thrilled to see that this book was fully funded and has been published.

Humming Heroes by John McMillan and Philip McMillan is a nonfiction children's/young adult book and is geared for ages 8 to 18 years old. I read the paperback edition, which is 64 pages in length.

What did I love about this nonfiction book? I loved the illustrations for this book. The illustrations are charming and beautifully rendered by Isil GülI love the creative approach taken by the authors to explain how the immune system works to children and how humming supercharges one's immune system. The way this book is formatted is excellent... It's part poetry with added additional text to express in more detail for older audiences the science involved with our immune system.

What did I dislike about
 Humming Heroes by John McMillan and Philip McMillan? The cardstock used for this book feels flimsy to me. In fact, the book itself arrived already dinged from Amazon. So, I have doubts that the cardstock will hold up over time no matter how careful I am with this book itself. Additionally, the paperback edition of Humming Heroes by John McMillan and Philip McMillan sells for $15.99, which I think is pricey for a 64 page paperback book printed on what feels like flimsy cardstock. Everything else about this book is fine.

The publisher's summary for Humming Heroes: Inside The Nose That Almost Nobody Knows by John McMillan and Philip McMillan I found on Amazon's website states the following:
Set within a child’s nose, ‘Humming Heroes’ features a family of Lymphocytes led by a wise Mother, brave Father, determined Brother, and heroic Baby, confronting invading microorganisms. The story takes an imaginative turn, emphasizing the power of working together, when the child humming melody combines with the Lymphocytes’ song to repel the invaders and restore inner harmony. This project bridges the gap between scientific knowledge and public understanding, providing both children and adults with an opportunity to explore the fascinating world of the immune system.
I am giving Humming Heroes: Inside The Nose That Almost Nobody Knows by John McMillan and Philip McMillan a rating of 4 stars out of 5 stars.

Until my next post, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment